Can someone help me out? I am confused about the Israel-Palestinian conflict. ?

From what I understand, the Palestinians want a separate state that includes the West Bank and the Gaza strip. Israel, I thought was okay with this. Hamas, a terrorist organization was put into power by the Palestinians and now they are attacking Israel? And, Israel is fighting back? So are the people in Gaza... show more From what I understand, the Palestinians want a separate state that includes the West Bank and the Gaza strip. Israel, I thought was okay with this. Hamas, a terrorist organization was put into power by the Palestinians and now they are attacking Israel? And, Israel is fighting back?

So are the people in Gaza Israelis or are the Palestinians or both?

Does the average Palestinian really hate or feel victimized by Israel? If so, way?

Does the average Israeli really hate or feel victimized by the Palestinians? If so, way?

If Hamas didn't exist would the I/P people be fighting?

Is this really a religious war?

Sorry if these questions are stupid, but I really don't get it. And since the US is pro-Israel I'm not sure I'm getting the full story.