How do you set up a nonprofit organization in Michigan? ?

I''m considering setting up a nonprofit organization for some volunteer work I enjoy doing. What is involved in setting up a nonprofit organization, in Michigan? Do I need to file certain paperwork with the state? If so, what agency do I apply to. Are there special forms that need to be completed. Do I need a board to oversee the organization? Are there certain guidelines that need to be followed? Do I need a business plan?

Favorite Answer

Hi Searcher, This might help with the phone No's and address.

Good luck.

(((((Searcher))))))

Michigan League for Human Services

1115 S Pennsylvania

Suite 202

Lansing, MI 48912

Telephone: (517) 487-5436

Fax: (517) 371-4546

E-mail: mlhs@mlan.net

(Last checked 09/22/08) Devoted to human service issues. Offers lobbying support and member services, including insurance plans, low-interest loans, seminars on legal, human-resource, liability and financial management topics, and several publications.

A subsidiary, the Michigan League Insurance Project for Nonprofits Inc., helps agencies save insurance premium dollars.

Michigan Nonprofit Association

1048 Pierpont, Suite 3

Lansing, MI 48911

Telephone: (517) 492-2400

1-888-242-7075 (Michigan Only)

(Last checked 09/22/08) Statewide membership organization devoted to promoting awareness and effectiveness of Michigan's nonprofit sector and to advance the cause of volunteerism and philanthropy. Offers members public policy updates, conferences, training and technical assistance. Cosponsors annual Grantmakers/Grant-seekers conference with the Council of Michigan Foundations. Affiliated with two volunteer-promotion groups---Michigan Campus Compact and Volunteer Centers of Michigan. Publications include the Michigan Association and Nonprofit Compensation and Benefit Survey and the Michigan Nonprofit Association Blog.

The Michigan Nonprofit Association just announced (March 30th) that it will be taking over many of the nonprofit services formerly offered by the Accounting Aid Society of Detroit. For instance, MNA plans to take over the management workshops, combining them with its own educational programming. It also will combine the one-on-one consulting services the society had offered with the consulting it currently offers and begin fielding calls on the hotline for nonprofit questions formerly operated by the Accounting Aid Society. Future plans include offering a new edition of the Michigan Nonprofit Management Manual in 2007 and opening a second office in Detroit this spring.