Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

R&P: Great artists that helped shape Rock n Roll?

Alright, so I'm doing this project about rock n roll, and I need a good list of men/women who made rock n roll what it is today.

So.

Who do you think I should add to my list?

Who do you think I should take off?

Paul McCartney

John Lennon

George Harrison

Ringo Starr

Jimmy Page

Robert Plant

John Bonham

John Paul Jones

John Entwitle

Roger Daltrey

Keith Moon

Pete Townshend

David Gilmour

Syd Barrett

Roger Waters

Rick Wright

Nick Mason

Freddie Mercury

Brian May

Roger Taylor

John Deacon

Mick Jagger

Keith Richards

Charlie Watts

Ronnie Wood

Jim Morrison

John Densmore

Robby Kreiger

Ray Manzarak

Elvis Preslely

Jimi Hendrix

Chuck berry

Eric Clapton

Paul Simon

Jerry Garcia

Art Garfunkel

Janis Joplin

Joey Ramone

Ozzy Osbourne

Bob Dylan

Elton John

Ray Charles

Buddy Holly

Neil Young

David Bowie

Billy Joel

Bruce Springsteen

Brian Wilson

Angus Young

Little Richard

Eddie Van Halen

Lou Reed

Update:

Darth - I already have Led Zeppelin, Jagger, and Richards on the list

29 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

CARL PERKINS THE BLUE SUEDE SHOES MAN

• 1 decade ago

Sly Stone

Roy Orbison

Ian Anderson

Keith Emerson

Greg Lake

Carl Palmer

John Phillips - the Mamas and the Papas

And someone else already mentioned Carl Perkins. He really needs to be on there! I also agree with adding Tony Iommi.

Johnny Cash also influenced a lot of rock and roll artists.

I would add Anthony Kiedis and/or Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers as well. But that's just me!

Awesome list!

• 1 decade ago

My list as far as metal goes:

Ozzy Osbourne

James Hetfield

Robert Plant

Eddie Van Halen

Phil Anselmo

Kerry King

Dave Mustaine

Andres Fridan

Angela Gossow

Glenn Danzig

Zach de la Rocha

Henry Rollins

Mike Patton

Al Jourgensen

David Townsend

Randy Blythe

Chuck Schuldiner

King Diamond

Rob Halford

Mayhem

Kurt Cobain

Johnathan Davis (early Korn years)

Serj Tankian

• 1 decade ago

Nice list, but no women yet, eh? Patti Smith needs to be up there, for sure. And Janis Joplin. And really, I'd like to think that Eddie Van Halen did in no way shape music, but I guess speaking with at least a pinch of perspective, I take that back because I haven't even listened to Van Halen through more than 2 or 3 songs. So, screw me, anyhow...I think your list needs Michael Stipe, Morrissey, Kurt Cobain, Liz Phair (look into this one), PJ Harvey, Siouxsie Sioux, Joe Strummer, Kathleen Hanna (make sure to look into this one too), Kim Gordon, Kim Deal, Stephen Malkmus, David Byrne, Poly Styrene, Thurston Moore, Iggy Pop, Thom Yorke, and Frank Black. I'm speaking mostly for the alternative world because I think those guys might get overlooked.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You could go back to the 1950s and check out singers from Sun Records like Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis. Also Buddy Holly, Bill Haley and others from the early years. There are lots of rhythm and blues singers that were making music before that..it was considered very early rock and roll. Do some googling.

• 1 decade ago

Ok, some don't wanna admit it, but Nirvana definitely helped shape rock as it is today. The whole grunge movement never really died....just became an undercurrent. Also, Cream was a great influence (though they only had a two year run). And WHERE is Jon Anderson of Yes? And ALL the members of Rush were amazing......

Source(s): ~Indie G
  • 1 decade ago

the only guys i could truly argue removing from that list are jerry garcia, joey ramone, and lou reed...i wouldn't say they really shaped rock and roll the way the rest of those guys did

the additions i would make are joe strummer of the clash, tom petty, and john fogerty...i think he was more of an influence than joey ramone on the punk rock scene, which is why i would replace him...petty is one of the first of the singer/songwriter art and has one of the most distinctive sounds of all time...fogerty led the first great american rock band in the late 60s

• 1 decade ago

Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart!

They showed the world that girls can do rock and roll as well as any man!

and

Billy Idol

besides that you did a great job on the list.

• 1 decade ago

Love your list. I think you should add Chuck Berry, Kurt Cobain, and definitely Big Mama Thornton. She was the first to record Hound Dog and she was an early predecessor of the greats as well as an influence.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Lead Belly, Buddy Guy, Dee Dee Ramone (he also wrote a few good songs), Johnny Rotten(Sex Pistols), Kurt Cobain(Nirvana), Michael Stipe(REM), Thurston Moore(Sonic Youth), Van Morrison, George Clinton, Ray and Dave Davies(the kinks), Iggy pop, Jack Bruce, ginger baker, the clash, Brian wilson, B.B. king, carlos santana, stevie ray vaughn, frank zappa, mick taylor, james brown, little richard, bo diddley, muddy waters, {put Bob Marley if you think it fits with your description of "rock"}, U2, johnny cash, roy orbison, the allman brothers band, and... of course DRAKE BELL(nah just kiddin would you belive that i was serious

take off john densmore he was a prety weak drummer for such a good band

Source(s): myself
  • Dude
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Randy Rhoads

All of Metallica

Steven Tyler

Joe Perry

Bon Scott

Joan Jett

Paul Gilbert

Kurt Cobain

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.