snookie121280 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Dry Dog Food for Sensitive Stomach?

Here are the details. Diesel is my 2 year old Rottweiler. He was given to me at 20 months, so I do not know all his history. He was already neutered, always a great plus. He started vomiting clear acid like liquid. He was taken to the vet, clear physical. Put on Famotidine 2 10mg pills 30 minutes before each meal. At this time he was on Canidae. Things seemed to clear for about 2 weeks. Again this clear liquid started, he was upped to 2 20mg pills AM and 1 20mg pill PM, and was switched to Taste of the Wild. Things were good until 12/30/08. He vomited some brown mushy stuff(very gross)(looked like poop) Gross I know, Sorry! He was taken to the vet again. Clear physical, blood drawn, de wormed, on Metronidazole, and prescription diet purrina E/N. Blood work came back good. Vet suggested all I could do was try different foods for sensitive stomachs, or use the E/N diet(costly). Are there any foods that you could recommend?

• bds
    Best Answer

Try Pinnacle Duck formula. It is designed for sensitive stomachs. I have a customer whose dog has pancreatitis and was vomiting with every food she tried until Pinnacle. No more vomiting and the dog has been eating it for about three months.

• joanis

Iams Sensitive Stomach Dog Food

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Dry Dog Food for Sensitive Stomach?

Here are the details. Diesel is my 2 year old Rottweiler. He was given to me at 20 months, so I do not know all his history. He was already neutered, always a great plus. He started vomiting clear acid like liquid. He was taken to the vet, clear physical. Put on Famotidine 2 10mg pills 30 minutes...

Source(s): dry dog food sensitive stomach: https://shortly.im/y4apN

Your dog should be eating prescription I/D food, made by Hill's. I'm surprised they didn't offer this already and went right to the Famotidine. I/D dog food is a food formulated for dogs with gastrointestinal disorders. I have put all my cats and dogs on I/D for the first few months of their lives after switching to adult food, if they come down with bouts of stomach upset, vomit and diarreah. I/D is highly digestible. You should mix it into the current food, until you can slowly switch over. Good luck, I hope your dog feels better! Also, try to feed him one or two UNSALTED saltines before bedtime, so that in the morning, his stomach is not empty, which will also prevent him from regurgitating stomach acid that has built up overnight.

Source(s): I am a vet tech for 6 years.

Nature's Recipe makes a formula for sensitive stomachs. Natural Balance makes limited ingredient diets for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Both are sold at Petco.

My dog has always had a very sensitive stomache. Even cooked ground beef makes him sick. Same with pretty much all dog treats, raw hides, just about anything. I feed him IAMS low residue. It is a prescription dog food, but it is the only dog food that doesn't make him sick. Personally, I hate the Iams brand because I know they test on animals, but it is the only thing I have found that won't give my dog the runs. You also might want to try putting a heaping tablespoon of canned pumpkin in your dog's food. Not canned pumpkin pie, just canned pumpkin. It helps them with digestion.

My cousin has a Lab with a sensitive stomach and he can eat Iams Lamb and Rice,Eagle Pack Holistic Anchovy,Sardine and Salmon formula and plain boiled chicken and rice.I would recommend the Eagle Pack.Merrick is also formulated for sensitive stomachs and there are several different formulas. Plain yogurt with a little ginger sprinkled in it can help to soothe the stomach as well.

Over the past year, I have had my dogs on Blue Buffalo and Eagle Pack. Blue can be found in your local PetSmart and Eagle Pack...well I would do a search (www.eaglepack.com).

I liked both, it's just that my little one started losing weight on the Blue so I switched to Eagle. They haven't gotten sick once since I switched them from Beneful.

IMHO, the pricier foods do NOT necessarily mean better for your dog.

Hills Science diet has a food for sensitive stomach. My dog isn't on it but a girl I work with (at the vets office) feeds it to her dog with good success.

Purina has one in a maroonish colored bad...may be a Purina One food..for sensitive stomachs.Also,may be a beef or wheat or corn allergy.Try some lamb and rice,or chicken and rice.........food for at least a week to see if things change.Good luck.