when is a lithium atom stable?

lithium has three electron in the neutral state

2 in the first level and 1 in the second level.

if lithium loses one electron how is it stable, there is no octet

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

To be stable an element should take the nearest noble gas configuration

H 1

He 2

Li 2 1

Be 2 2

B 2 3

the nearest noble gas to Li is He( Helium)

the configuration of helium is 2

when lithium gives out 1 electron in the last energy level its configuration becomes 2 so it has reaches the configuration of helium

so lithium is stable now

in another way i will explain like this:

to get stable it is not compulsory to have 8 electrons....to get stable in anyway an atom should complete all its energy levels by inserting the maximum no. of electrons each energy level can hold

1st energy level can hold only 2 electrons

2nd only 8 electrons like wise

so lithium complete the 1st energy level by 2 electrons...but it couldn't find another 7 electrons to stabilize the 2nd energy level...so it gives out the remaining electron and it is stabilized

• babbs
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Lithium has a finished of three electrons of their floor state, filling lithiums 1s orbital with 2 electrons and its 2s orbital with a million electron. This one outer, or valence, election motives the component to be very reactive and quite risky without being bonded to something (gained't ensue on my own certainly) to stabilize itself lithium will without complications provide up this one outer electron leaving it with one unmarried crammed s orbital. Lithium has an fairly low ionization ability

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It isn't. It will tend to pick up a stray electron, or combine with something to share an electron. Octets apply to valence electrons in elements heavier than helium (which lithium is), but for heavy elements, valence is controlled to some degree by electrons from the next shell in.

• As I understand it, for smaller atoms like lithium, they are stable (electron shell-wise) when they have two electrons in their outer shell. The larger atoms are stable when they have eight. But lithium does fine with two in its outer shell, I believe.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

When it has 8 valence electrons.

• 1 decade ago

When the atom pairs with another that will make each atoms outer most layer full, but not overflowing.

• 'Naturally occurring lithium is composed of two stable isotopes 6Li and 7Li, the latter being the more abundant (92.5% natural abundance)'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium

Scroll to "Isotopes"

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

lithium is only stable when balanced

• 1 decade ago

when its forming ionic bonds with its boyfriend helium!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

who cares

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.