Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Treadmill giving electric shock?!?

I've recently purchased a Brand new treadmill and I've used it in the last 4-5 days with no problems. But today when I went on to start my workout and started the machine, as soon as I touched the heart rate control (metal) handle in front of the treadmill, an electric shock caught my hand. I tried several times and the same happened!! The shock only happens once I'm on the rubber platform of the treadmill.

I will contact their customer service as soon as they open on Sunday morning but just wondering what could be causing this problem!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Zach
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    It's not a short circuit in the machinery. If there was your power would shut off (in your fuse box/breaker box). You, being on the rubber mat, are insulated and would not conduct electricity.

    The most likely cause is the material of your shoes. It is not the same material as the rubber tread you are running on. When you run electrons build up on one side of the machine, probably you, and when you touch the metal on the treadmill you ground out through it and get sparked!

    Make sure you are wearing that little safety clip thing when you run. I do suggest calling customer service in case they have designed the treadmill against such a static buildup and it is not working properly. Perhaps there is something with material choices in the treadmill which are causing the tendency for static buildup.

    Source(s): My socks and that door handle.
  • Ecko
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Well the heart rate control works. That should have increased your heart rate!

    It is not clear why you get a shock - there are two possible mechanisms - by some kind of leakage current to an ungrounded frame (intended to be grounded if there is a 3 pin plug) or some kind of static charge from friction on the belt.

    If it is static charge on the belt cause by friction it is likely to occur because of dry air because it is cold weather. In either case there is a good chance that it will go away once if it is properly grounded.

    Once you have sweaty hands you would be sensitive to even very small currents.

    The ungrounded leakage current theory needs a path from the heart rate control through your body to the frame or some other conductive part. This seems to be interrupted by the "rubber" mat you are on, and probably rubber soled shoes, so how is this happening? Where else are you hanging on?

    The static charge theory implies the mat you stand on is charged. However it should discharge fairly quickly unless it is being driven continuously by you or a motor to recharge. This also leaves unanswered questions.

    You also generate voltages using the the treadmill by the intended work load in some systems which use a small generator to provide an adjustable load.

    All these things can and should be controlled and eliminated by design. The first thing to check is the safety ground, otherwise the suplliers may not be interested in your problem.

    The grounding of the power outlet is an important safety feature, as is the secondary safety measure of a safety switch that trips when the mains current is not confined to the two intended wires. It is best not to use the treadmill until the cause is better explained.

  • Erika
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

    Small Electric Treadmill

  • 1 decade ago

    sounds like static electricity transference,, is it in a dry environment,, when the rubber mat starts to move its building up a static charge and grounding out via you tounching a grounded part of the machine,, maybe you can rig up something to the machine that would make contact with the mat and the machine,, like a wire hanger wrapped around the frame and just touching the mat so you dont get the static shock,, thats would i would try, just to be sure,, or maybe the a/c power plug in your wall socket isnt grounding,, just a thought, but it sounds like static to me.. good luck!!

  • 1 decade ago

    when I go to the gym that happens also. It sucks. I don't know if there's a good way to avoid it, you are generating lots of static through activity and then you get shocked when it hits the metal :(

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    your treadmill is not grounded. sounds faulty. There should be something in the cord that grounds the electricity....call them

  • Lyra
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    loose wire? a short somewhere.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    yoda got you?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.