Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

ukulele chord help!!! please?

what chords does this mean?:

4222 2225 2100 0232

like put in letter form like A or AM for example

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Super, I am assuming Baritone Uke tuning, ie..D, G, B, E (low pitch to high). This tuning is the same as the Treble strings of the guitar.

The numbers indicate the fret positions to be fingered; therefore:

4222= F#m (minor)

2225= A (major)

2100= E (major)

0232= D (major)

It is of course, a shorthand system for notating chords on the neck of a fretted instrument.

Tablature is another system.

Standard chord charts a third.

If your Uke uses soprano tuning (A, D, F#, B), then chord names are a fifth higher.

Cliff E. (classic guitarist)

PS...Uke is a nice starting instrument that will lead nicely to more formal studies on the Guitar later if you so desire.

• 1 decade ago

First of all, to my (fairly limited!) knowledge, there are two main ukulele tunings:

1. G, C, E, A

2. A, D, F#, B (a whole tone higher; I used this tuning *many* years ago!)

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Secondly, I'm guessing that the numbering system shows which frets should be stopped. Thus, 4222 would mean 4th fret, 2nd fret, 2nd fret and 2nd fret.

Using tuning #1, the pitches produced would be, respectively, B, D, F# and B, giving you a B minor chord, usually written simply as Bm.

4222, 2225, 2100 and 0232, for tuning #1:

Bm, D, A and G

4222, 2225, 2100 and 0232, for tuning #2 will be a tone higher than that:

C#m, E, B and A

Hope this helps!

EDIT: while I've been dithering about, Cliff E. has explained everything very clearly! He's got me thinking: I wonder if there's a site somewhere that can translate "numerical, wxyz" chord notation into standard chord symbols, and vice versa.

• 5 years ago

Superwoman Chords

• 1 decade ago

Superwoman,

Provided your ukulele is tuned GCEA and you're numbers for your strings are top to bottom (chin to knee GCEA), then your chords are Bm, D (your 1st and 3rd strings are now D), A, & G. http://www.meleukulele.com/PDFs/UkeChart.pdf

You're not the first to ask this number/chord stuff. Where do you guys get it?

Have fun,

CowUkeA

Source(s): Ukulele instructor
  • 1 decade ago

I'll have a go at working it out once you tell me how your uke is tuned.

Is it GDAE, or ADF:B or some other tuning?

Source(s): musician
  • 1 decade ago

I don't know...ask a math nerd!

Source(s): ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.