Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

Why does the fact that celebrities like Bill Gates throw their money at charities impress people so much?

Most (if not all) of them only give to charities to impress the public, so why do people think it's so great that they're contributing money that they're so rich that they'll never be able to spend anyway?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

of course he doesn't HAVE to, thats not the point! wow, thats commendable that rich people give their money to charity EVEN THOUGH they dont have to?! NO, i think its nice but nothing shocking or earth shattering, i think it should be somewhat expected considering there is pretty much NO way he would run out of money anyway...might as well spend some of his limitless money for bettering some aspect of society.

honestly, a $100 contribution from a normal person that works a normal job every day is much more commendable than bill gates who spends $1000's+ because the actual blow to the bank account is actually deeper for the everyday person giving what they can than bill gates who could give and give and never end up any worse off.

i DO think its great that they contribute, but it shouldn't be anything to award them for. if i had that kind of money i'd feel it was my responsibility (for being so blessed) to share my blessings as many celebrities choose to do. <3

He doesn't have to donate anything to charity if he doesn't want to. I'm not impressed that he gives to charities considering how rich he is. I wasn't impressed that Julia Roberts gave a million dollars to 9/11 relief considering that she commands 20 million a movie and she's only a halfway good actress. If celebs/famous people wanted to impress me they could give away a third or a quarter of the fortune to charities. The common man is what made them rich in the first place.

How do you know he is impressing the public? Not all celebrities do things for the attention. Sometimes they give money to places because they actually care, and since they have so much money, giving it away is the best way they know how to help. Personally, I think it is that great, no matter what the reason.

It doesn't impress me very much. Helping other people is what we're supposed to do. They aren't doing anything above and beyond. They just have more money than the average person has to give.

It's not like he's a billionaire and is giving the equivalent of a couple of quid to charity!

If i gave £50 to charity i wouldn't get all the applause he does, yet it's more of a sacrifice for me then him giving a couple of million.

• Mark

It's your fault if your impressed by it, he isn't doing anyone harm and he doesn't seem the type of person to impress with money.

It doesn't matter why he is doing it. At the end of the day he is still donating to charity and i imagine donating a lot more than most people...

i don't care if it's only to impress the public (which it's not in bills case you cynic)..... if someone is going to that amount to charity, they can have my respect no matter what the reason they are doing it for

They probably make money on their gifts after taxes. My broke *** giving 10-20 dollars here and there means more.

because, even if they are only doing it to impress people THEY ARE STILL CONTRIBUTING TO CHARITIES! doesn't that kinda self explain its self?

Source(s): duh, use ur head