Should Senate Republicans filibuster the nomination of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State?

I'm not opposed to letting Obama pick who he wants for his cabinet, nor am I especially opposed to Hillary running the state department.

But if Hillary isn't confirmed, she won't resign from the Senate, and New Yorks governor can't unload that twit Caroline Kennedy on the Senate and probably the Presidency for another generation to come.

Favorite Answer

A very thought provoking question indeed.

For if Hillary leaves the U.S. Senate for the State Department, she will enable her #1 competitor for the 2016 and later Presidential nominations, Caroline Kennedy. Who, as a U.S. Senator, will gain tremendous "experience" credentials within the Democratic Party even if she stays in her apartment in Manhattan for the next 8 years, emerging only to give Uncle Teddys eulogy to a nationwide T.V. audience later this year.

So if I were Hillary, I would actually filibuster my own nomination until numnutz Governor Paterson comes up with an appointee who won't stand in the way of Hillary's return to the White House.

First of all, Caroline Kennedy isn't a twit. She may not have enough experience to be the best pick, but she's unquestionably highly intelligent if you examine her history. She may even be an excellent senator if given the chance. However, she hasn't done anything to demonstrate that, so it would be very much a leap of faith and from watching my Governor, I'm not so sure it's one he's willing to make. I give it 50/50 odds. Adolfo Carion is another contender, not a major profile outside of New York, but he's among the top prospects for the seat all the same. Rumor has it Schumer has been pushing for someone with a lower profile, not Kennedy or Cuomo. He's the senior senator and would prefer to be seen as such.

Regardless of that, Hillary Clinton will resign in advance of her confirmation, so the seat will be vacant anyway. She could be (and would be) reappointed if not confirmed, but it's not like she'd never resign. Besides that, the Republicans would not have anywhere close to the votes for such an endeavor and any attempt to do it would cause the public to turn against them even more and they would loose even more congressional seats in another 2 years. (They'll probably loose more senate seats in 2 years anyway at the current trend, 1/3 of the senators haven't faced re-election during the current democratic swing, if the swing continues into the midterm elections, there could be another substantial increase in democratic senators, but it probably won't be on the same magnitude simply because 6 years is a long time for such a trend to last, especially when it's toward the party now in power.)

A mildly compelling reason to almost wish they would. Except that they couldn't get enough Republicans to play along. Most of the GOP is still trying to show the voters how willing they are to work with the opposing party. Given how much of a majority the Dems have in both the senate and the house, any smart Republican hoping to get bipartisan support for their own legislation is probably going to avoid pointless posturing that will do little more than gain the animosity of the party in power.

No, let her serve.

I think she'll actually be pretty good in that role. She's tough and very hawkish when it comes to foreign policy.

As for New York, I really don't think Caroline Kennedy is going to get the job. She's even less politically savvy than Sarah Palin was! If she gets the job, she will be a total disaster and embarrassment for Democrats, so we can only be so lucky. But I think Democrats know that too. Then again, they seem to like having total disasters and embarrassments as their representatives...

I'd concentrate more efforts on blocking Al Franken. Clearly he's stolen the election and they kept bending the rules until he got a slight lead. It needs to go to court and expose everything, and until that is resolved, he should not be seated.

The tradition in the Senate is to OK without delay any cabinet appointment of a US Senator.