Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

How do I know if I have anthropophobia?

Anthropophobia is a fear of people or socializing, as far as I know. How do I know if I have it? I think I might, but I don't know. I searched it on google, but I couldn't find anything very useful. Please help?

Favorite Answer

Methinks your approach is wrong. Rather than trying to figure out, "Do I have this or that?" I'd focus more on what exactly the problem is -- not what it's called. Then, let's try to find a way to fix the problem.

You seem to be indeed terrified of people, to the point where it does sound like a serious problem. It makes me wonder if you have some very negative experience, some trauma. I know of one girl who's agoraphobic, and she was sexually abused as a child. It's easy for anyone to say "get professional help", but curing yourself is mostly going to involve effort on your part, just like curing a torn ACL is 1 part surgery, 9 parts physical therapy.

This is a rather difficult problem to overcome, because trust is a tricky thing. Even if you weren't traumatized in the past, you can be very easily hurt in the future because, quite frankly, people can be quite vicious. Social skills are very much like learning to box -- you need to learn to jab and dodge as well as develope the scars to toughen you up. But we don't want to just throw you out there to get broken. And don't even THINK of compensating for it with booze or drugs, unless you want to wake up not remembering that you were gang-raped by six guys at a party you don't even remember going to. Yes, I know people who went through this.

What you really need, if you can find one, is a trustworthy and skilled wingman -- someone who can easily start up conversations with anyone, and then get you involved. A good wingman will also cover for you if you start to feel awkward -- and pull you out of a bad situation if someone seems really dangerous. That way, you can develop your social skills under the wing of a protective and nurturing tutor until you build the confidence to approach people on your own. Can you think of anyone like that? Oh, and start small -- don't think you need to keep up with other girls going to wild parties and such. The way to go is to set your own pace.

Good luck

I have since gotten over Social Anxiety. I could not go out, leave the house some days, had problems walking into a room of people, didnt want or had fear of talking to people, disliked being the centre of attention (became anxious) and couldn't stand being down town with heaps of people, couldnt even go to the supermarket. I am fine now though, cause I faced those fears. I had everything the person above has said - vylettee.

Anthropophobia or Anthrophobia[1] (literally, "fear of people", from Greek roots phobos, fear, + anthropos, man), also called interpersonal relation phobia[1] is pathological fear of people or human company. According to the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD-10), it is a particular case of social phobia.[2]

Anthropophobia is an extreme, pathological form of shyness and timidness. It may be manifested in fears of blushing, meeting the gaze of the others, awkwardness and uneasiness when appearing in society, etc. [3] A specific Japanese cultural form has been known as taijin kyofusho[4]

Source(s): Wikipedia Duh

2

Source(s): Pregnancy Solutions http://netint.info/GetPregnantNaturally/?0Ac7

1

the signs of anthrophobia are -

* Irrational fear of people

* Feeling of panic

* Feeling of terror

* Feeling of dread

* Rapid heartbeat

* Shortness of breath

* Trembling

* Anxiety

* Extreme avoidance measures taken

so if you're experiencing these symptoms, you know you have anthrophobia.

• Iris

try googling social anxiety...this is when you don't like socializing with people, may avoid crowds, loner...physical symptoms of anxiety may manifest themself during this time

just call it social anxiety, and you likely have it...its quite common, and it can be mild to very severe.

it can be overcome, through therapy, and even meds.