Which would you choose: the book/novel or the short story?

Is there anyone else out there who can honestly admit they'd prefer to read a short story/novella rather than reading a book/novel? I absolutely love reading good books/novels, but I have to say that I think I enjoy reading short stories and novellas a little more, for various reasons...

So, is there anyone else out there who would choose to read a short story/novella over a book/novel?

Best Answer

I love to read before bed,and that's when short stories are great,you can finish the whole story before you go to sleep.I love books like Skeleton crew,Night shift by Stephen King.

• ?

I think it totally depends on my mood at the time & it depends too on how well an author can get their point across in a brief amount of pages. Stephen King has written some excellent short stories. Some of which have become movies too, like "Stand By Me" which was actually titled, "The Body" in King's collection of short stories in the book "Different Seasons"....if you really haven't picked up a collection of short stories just to try them out, you should. I took a college course on short stories...that was the entire course...studying contemporary short stories & it was an excellent class & got me into reading short stories. But don't get me wrong...I read a LOT more long novels than short stories. I am a reading fanatic. I just wanted to say that there is a time & a need for short stories as well as novels.

Give them a try sometime. It might change your mind. :)

Depends on what I'm in the mood for, and where I'm at when I'm reading. If I'm on a bus or waiting at the doctor's office, I'd probably opt for a short story or two. When I'm at home I usually read on my bed and I lose track of time, so I normally read books then. If I'm in the mood to read something quick, I'll go for the short story or a book that is less than 100 pages. It just depends.

I personally like novels better because I enjoy getting into them and taking my time to read them. With short stories I'm always left wanting to hear more or wanting the story to be explained better so yeah, defiantly novels.

i much more prefer longer novels... i don't really like reading short stories at all. I like long stories that will require a lot of time for me to finish.

I prefer novel because they develop suspense and helps you concentrate on one topic for a period of time. Whereas, short stories clears up the excitement of the mid point in shorter time. It is always good to be excited for a lengthy period of time.

Yeah I love short stories like Grimms Fairy Tales, all of them are amazing. I definitely see your point.

i really like novel but i also like reading short story.. especially what i've seen in student books....like Asian literatures, anglo-american..etc

but novel is very good..coz it's very detailed...

yip yip