What over-the-counter medication have the similar effects of Valium?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you are thinking of Valium as a sleep aid and a relaxant, some possibilities are herbs and other supplements that are available in manyhealth food or vitamin stores. The herbs include valerian root, kava kava, chamomile, hops, passion flower, lavendar and skullcap. Probably, valerian root and kava kava are the best. I know that it takes valerian root at least two weeks to start working as a sedative. I am not sure about the other herbs.

You can also try tryptophan, 5-HTP and melatonin (1-2 mg). I would not take melatonin for over a month unless your doctor says it is ok. It is a hormone produced by the pineal gland. If you take too much, your pineal gland might get "lazy" and produce less melatonin naturally.

Valium is not made from valerian root. The similarities in the way they sound is probably a coincidence. Valium is a heavy duty sedative in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines. The problem with Valium is that is has such a long half-life. In other words, after 30 to 90 hours hours, half of it is still in your body. They rest trickles out for about 3 weeks. Also, the benzos can be addicting.

Over-the-counter sleep aids include unisom, sominex, benadryl plus meds like Tylenol PM. Hope this helps.

• 3 years ago

Over The Counter Valium

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What over-the-counter medication have the similar effects of Valium?

Source(s): counter medication similar effects valium: https://tr.im/jmGx1
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

valarian root.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.