Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

Will dying my hair darker damage it?

Please only answer if you know that answer for sure. I know that dying your hair lighter damages it. I dyed my hair pale blonde (I'm a natural brunette) well... not all the way. But I got enough highlights to make me look like a blonde. I dyed everything except underneath in the back (thank god). I would like to dye my hair to my natural colour, but I don't want it to be even more damaged than it is now. So will dying your hair darker damage it? please explain why. (i really don't want to get any answers like "it's still chemicals")

oh and i'm going to a salon i'm not doing it by myself, because i know that dying it at home can be damaging. thanks for the answers :)

Favorite Answer

With any coloring and dying, it will damage your hair, but going darker won't be as damaging as going lighter because it doesn't require as many chemicals. I'd say that you want to wait a little bit before you dye it again if your hair is damaged, because dying it too soon after it's just been very damaged will make your hair weak and dry and it could fall out. About a week or two should be a good amount of waiting time as long as you use a conditioner, depending on your personal hair type and how damaged it is. There are cheap deep conditioners that you leave in your hair for about thirty minutes then rinse out that do wonders for damaged hair, so if you do that about once a week you should be fine.

P.S. Since you have highlights and your hair isn't all one color and parts are blonde, the lighter parts of your hair might not be the exact same color as the rest, but since you are planning on going to a salon, as long as your hairdresser knows how to fix that(which I'm sure she does, as long as your going to a legitimate place which I'm assuming you are) it shouldn't be a problem. Just a warning:]

Well, no matter what color you dye your hair, there will always be some damage. Remember, you're putting chemicals in your hair that it's not used to. I have dies my hair many times and it still looks shiny and feels soft so I'm not trying to turn you away from it. Hope it looks nice :)

Permanent hair dye opens the cuticle of the hair to deposit the color. When this happens is does do some damage. Your hairdresser should be able to tell you if you hair can take another dye. Or you could ask him/her to do a swatch test first.

one way or the other, anything artificial you do to your hair (alot of heat tools, too much products) can damage your hair. but if you do want to get it back to its original color-- go ahead. just make sure you get a deep conditioning treatment while you get it. don't color it for maybe a few months as to let your natural healthy hair grow back.