Fable 2 - How to avoid the bloodstone glitch from happening?

Ok...well i recently purchased Fable 2 for my xbox 360 and started a new game eventually i got to bloodstone and talked to reaver (the hero of skill), he said i had to get more renown points to start the hero of skill quest so i went and did the treasure island quest and got enough renown points to go back and talk... show more Ok...well i recently purchased Fable 2 for my xbox 360 and started a new game eventually i got to bloodstone and talked to reaver (the hero of skill), he said i had to get more renown points to start the hero of skill quest so i went and did the treasure island quest and got enough renown points to go back and talk to him. He told me to deliver the dark seal, so i did and then went back to him to start the hero of skill quest. So getting to the point me and reaver went through his secret passage to escape from luciens men, thats when i discovered that i could not attack the spire guards or withdraw my weapon!
So i went back to my last save which was when it auto-saved just as you enter luciens mansion to start the hero of skill quest, and i discovered i couldn't attack back then either but i could attack when i went to wraithmarsh to deliver the seal. When the game auto-saved i was just inside the mansion the doors were still open so i left the mansion to see if i could still go buy things and use expressions and stuff and i worked out that i couldn't use the a button to do anything, but i could use expressions. Also i wondered if i could fast travel somewhere else so i pressed start and it just came up with scene paused! So i started a new game and i just got to bloodstone (again!). And i am wondering what i need to do to avoid this glitch so it doesn't happen to me again!