Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Do Lebanon and Moroccan people speak Arabic or French Language?

Today I watched a T.V. programe on a Lebanon channel and the broadcaster on T.V. was speaking a (heterogenous mixture lol) language of French and some Arabic and some English as well lol she was blabing for like 20 minutes and to be honest I am Saudi Arabic native speaker nevertheless, I did not understand anything of what ever she said and that really sounds superficial every time I watch Lebanese or Moroccan T.V. they use foreign language even when addressing the each other lol

Thank you (in English) = Shurkran (in Arabic) but in Lebanon and Morocco they say (Merci) which is loan word from French language.

my Question here does this have any thing to do with the former Colonialism of both Lebanon and Morocco by France??

Thank you

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

French citizens, French soldiers, and French politics were deeply inbedded in Morocco and Lebanon for many years. As a result, many remnants of the French culture still exist in those countries. One of these holdovers is the French language. All Lebanese and Morocans speak Arabic and many speak French (if their family were in those countries at the time the french were there). But it is not to say that these countries are bi-lingual, they are not.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In Lebanon, people speak Arabic, however, some also speak English and French.

In Morocco, the Moroccan dialect is a mix of Arabic, French, and Berber.

And yes, the French is due to the former colonialism.

• 1 decade ago

In most former colonies the former ruling language will become either an official language, or an auxiliary language or trade language.

"Article 11 of Lebanon's Constitution states that "Arabic is the official national language. A law determines the cases in which the French language may be used". The majority of Lebanese people speak Arabic, French and English, at least one of which very fluently, and another language semi-fluently."

"In recent years, it has become increasingly common for Lebanese people, especially the better educated, to converse in a combination of Lebanese, English and French, whereby the same sentence would include words or expressions from the different languages."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanon#Language

"French, which remains Morocco's unofficial second language, is taught universally and still serves as Morocco's primary language of commerce and economics. It also is widely used in education and government."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marocco#Languages

• 1 decade ago

Many educated Lebanese and Moroccans speak French

but the Arabic dialects (which may be mutally incomprehensible) would be their native tongues.

Many Arabs and Muslims who are not Arab study Classical Arabic

Many Algerians also speak French and Moroccans and Lebanese, as well as Algerians, often have relatives living in France or Francophone(French-speaking) places like Quebec

Morocco and Algeria were once considered by many French to be full departments("states") de la Republique Francaise

Many Arabic-speaking people in the former "French protectorates" who did not speak French picked up many French phrases and words.

Even before full colonization many Western educated Near Easterners spoke French as the language of diplomacy(before English came in as such) and Western European high culture

In Lebanon many schools were sponsored by French Catholic religious orders and encouraged the use of French.

When Lebanon was established as a state it had a Christian majority (Maronite Catholic, Greek /Rum Orthodox, Greek/Rum Catholic,Latin Catholic, Armenian Apostolic Orthodox, Syrian Orthodox and a wide variety of Protestant denominations) but now there are more Muslims (about 60-65%)

In the Near and Middle East English seems to be more sought after in education because of its current international value as a common wide-spread economic,business,air communication and pop culture language.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The official language of Lebanon is Arabic, but some people may also speak Armenian, English, French, Greek, and Turkish, The official language of Morocco is also Arabic, but other languages are spoken. The other languages are used unofficially.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, this has everything to do with being colonized by France. However, it must be a local thing for Lebanese and Morrocans to use the mix.

The Chinese in Hong Kong do the same thing. Many of the younger generation speak a sort of Chinglish, due to being colonized by the Brits. However, it's not used much in a news setting, but more in everyday life, tv or movies.

And to Mishill Obama, not everyone in Lebanon is Muslim. Many are Christian.

• 1 decade ago

They speak both as Liban and Morocco were both French colonies in the past.

Source(s): Native French speaker
  • 1 decade ago

Here's what I know...

Lebanon people speak Arabic and english.

And

Moroccan usually speak Arabic as well but some people in Morocca speak french and english as well.

I really hope I was helpful.

• 1 decade ago

YES OF COURSE THIS IS DUE TO COLONIALISM AND ALSO TO THE EDUCATION SYSTEM APPLIED NUPTODAY WHICH FAVORS FRENCH TO ARABIC. BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN ALL MOROCCANS SPEAK FRENCH. IT IS ONLY THE INTELLECTUAL CLASS WHICH DOES .

• 1 decade ago

yeah i know for a fact that people in lebanon do speak french... not sure of morrocans...but yes people in lebanon do speak french cuz its a neighboring country so yeah...

Source(s): LIFE ITSELF
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.