Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Promotion - Army while deployed?

Army National Guard 1LT (Promotable) occupying a slot authorized up to 1LT. I've heard that while deployed a person can be promoted one rank above what is authorized such that the deployment does not hold them back from being promoted.

I could not find an AR or NGB pub to confirm/deny this other than what I have been told. Military

5 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

To add to MkG and the "one down, two up" thing, remember this"

This person will be an O-3 in a job that is rated as an O-2... so he/she had better do a VERY good job in it, as he/she is working "below their position." The evaluations will have to show just how much better this person did the job than any silly 1LT could have done it.

Good luck!

Source(s): 21 years of military experience.
  • 1 decade ago

It's been a while, but a 1LT can be slotted in a 2LT, 1LT, CPT, or MAJ position (1 down, 2 up). Holding the position will not ensure you get promoted, only your performance in the position will ensure your promotion.

• 5 years ago

Hi there, you being deployed will not get you your promotions faster. It all depends on how good of a soldier you are and if you have earned your promotions and got the points also. Good Luck to you and have a good Sunday

• 1 decade ago

I'm not sure about officers, but we had NCOs get promoted when they accepted a position within a non-deployed unit. When they returned to home station they resumed drilling with their new unit in the position they accepted.

Source(s): Army, then Guard NCO, 27 years and still at it
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

wow

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.