Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

legal eviction in Harris county TX.?

What are the lagal steps to evicting a tenant in Harris County TX, and does a written eviction notice that states you have ten days a legal eviction?

6 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    To legally evict someone out of a property, you have to complete paperwork at one of the Justice of the Peace clerks offices. A constable usually serves the notice but that can be waived and the landlord may do so but has to file the return (paperwork saying notice was served) with the JP court clerk.

    If the tenant wants to contest the eviction, they must respond within the amount of time stated on the eviction notice. If the eviction is contested, a hearing date is set for each side to give reasons why or why not the eviction should be granted.

    If the tenant does not respond within the prescribed time frame, it is assumed to be uncontested and the tenant must vacate by the date stated on the notice. If they do not, the landlord may have a deputy come and remove the tenant.

    If the notice has the information from the court where the eviction was filed and tells how to contest the eviction, even if it is only gives ten days to vacate, it is valid. If it written on a piece of notebook paper and simply says get out in ten days, it's no good.

    Source(s): dealt with many eviction situations in Houston / Harris County.
  • 4 years ago

    Harris County Eviction Records

  • wizjp
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Information about Eviction Cases in Harris county

    Filing an Eviction Case

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Court Costs and Civil Process Service Fees

    Methods of Payment

    Petition for Eviction Based on Non-Payment of Rent

    Tenant Affidavit of Inability to Pay Costs of Appeal

    Eviction Appeal Bond (Surety)

  • 1 decade ago

    Nope. That's just the start, a thing they have to do before filing for eviction in JP court. That will be next, followed by a hearing.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    The court will send you the paperwork via process server or registered mail. If you refuse to accept the paperwork, you give up any rights you may have had and the court will proceed with the eviction.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    For the best answers, search on this site

    I LIVE IN HARRIS COUNTY TEXAS!!! Okay, you HAVE to let the tenant know.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.