Problem with search engine giving unrelated commercial sites for keywords?

I have been putting in keywords for various topics (searching for information) and in the past 2 weeks or so found that the top 5-10 listings are unrelated commercial sites (anti virus, shopping, etc.). This is happening on Yahoo search and Google search. What is going on? Ex. "Pellisms" (relating to... show more I have been putting in keywords for various topics (searching for information) and in the past 2 weeks or so found that the top 5-10 listings are unrelated commercial sites (anti virus, shopping, etc.). This is happening on Yahoo search and Google search.
What is going on? Ex. "Pellisms" (relating to Sen. Pell) comes up with various anti virus sites and coupon/shopping sites.
Update: The problem still is happening- putting in very legitimate searches, such as Senator Pell comes up with the deceptive list of websites. I checked my browser plugins, addons, ActiveX controls, etc, used my anti virus software and then the "Spybot Search & Destroy." No change. It seems it's not on... show more The problem still is happening- putting in very legitimate searches, such as Senator Pell comes up with the deceptive list of websites. I checked my browser plugins, addons, ActiveX controls, etc, used my anti virus software and then the "Spybot Search & Destroy." No change. It seems it's not on MY computer- it's something with the search engines (I've used Google and Yahoo searches).