<3 asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 1 decade ago

What is the total area (land) and total population of the Aleutian Islands (Alaska)?

OK, im desperate! I have an essay to do on the Aleutian Islands, in for Monday and i have a party tomorrow, my own, so i need to know very soon, i have looked on the internet for 2 hours now trying to find population, but it shows me all different answers, from 2000 to 8000! And i thought i got the right area but then today i get other answers! EASY 10 ! PLEASE HELP!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

6,821 square miles of land

Total population (1990 census): 72168

Aleutians East Borough population: 2464

Aleutians West population: 9478

Bethel population: 13656

Bristol Bay Borough population: 1410

Dillingham population: 4012

Kodiak Island Borough: 13309

Lake and Peninsula Borough population: 1668

Nome population: 8288

North Slope Borough population: 5979

Northwest Arctic Borough population: 6113

Wade Hampton population: 5791

Keep in mind that the population of the islands may vary with the seasons and the availability of wildlife populations.

These islands occupy an area of 6,821 square miles (17,666 km²) and extend about 1,100 mi (1,800 km) westward from the tip of the Alaska Peninsula toward Attu Island in Alaska.

Other information that may be of use in your report:

Volcanic island chain in the North Pacific, stretching 1,900 km/1,200 mi southwest of Alaska, of which it forms part, towards Kamchatka; population in Aleutians East Borough (2000 est) 2,700; in Aleutians West Census Area (2000 est) 5,500.

The inhabitants of the administrative zone of Aleutian Islands (which includes part of the peninsula del' Alaska) were 8162 with the census of 2000, including 4283 on the principal island of Unalaska. The people declaring Native Americans were in all 2150.

There are 14 large and more than 100 small islands running along the Aleutian Trench.

The largest island is Unimak (with an area of 3,500 sq km/1,360 sq mi), which contains two active volcanoes.

The islands are divided into four groups: the Fox Islands, the Andreanof Islands, the Rat Islands, and the Near Islands.

The Aleutians West Census Area has a (1990) population of 9,478, largely on Unalaska.

Check the links for the sources I researched. Hope this helps.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Wiki has info on Aleutians West Borough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleutians_West_Census...

The aleutian islands are a chain off the tip of the alaska peninsula. I'm not sure if the start of the islands coincides with the border between the border between the East and West aleutian boroughs, but it might.

I do know a lot of the boroughs below are not in the aleutian islands. Only the two aleutian boroughs have a chance of begin in the aleutian islands. West is for sure, east may be partial.

Total population (1990 census): 72168

Aleutians East Borough population: 2464

Aleutians West population: 9478

Bethel population: 13656

Bristol Bay Borough population: 1410

Dillingham population: 4012

Kodiak Island Borough: 13309

Lake and Peninsula Borough population: 1668

Nome population: 8288

North Slope Borough population: 5979

Northwest Arctic Borough population: 6113

Wade Hampton population: 5791

• 1 decade ago

Total area - 6,821 sq mi

Population 8,162 (as of 2000)

• Debra
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I don't think your dimensions can be right... One and a half square metres? You might get half a dozen people standing upright on that, but not 1200....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.