Where is Robert Arland Thomas Sr. buried? When did he die?

Been doing genealogy for centuries but haven't found the correct answer to this one. Maybe I'm just missing it. State of Florida seems to have missed it too, so maybe someone out there can uncover the facts.

I am looking for the death date and place buried for :

Robert Arland Thomas Sr. aka Bob

white male

b June 3, 1868 in Anglesey, Wales

m. Catherine Inez Broady (b 2-29-1879 in Oregon)

They lived in Canada, Washington State, & Oregon. She died in Canada, He remarried and moved to Defuniak Springs, Walton county, Florida, USA. He married Annie Elizabeth Custer. They were living in Defuniak Springs in 1918, 1920 Census shows him in East Defuniak Springs, resided at 127 Golf Links Road. the 1930 and 1945 census show him still living there in Precint 20, Walton County, Defuniak Springs. But after that I lose track of him and relatives say he died about 1955 in Defuniak Springs, Fl.

Any help would sure be appreciated!

Favorite Answer

http://www.ancestry.com--Florida Death Index, 1877-1998

(Is this the right one??)

Name: Robert A Thomas

Death Date: Jul 1958

County of Death: Duval

State of Death: Florida

Race: White

Gender: Male

(this one on One World Tree mentions a date 5 years earlier):

Robert Arland Thomas

Born: 3 Jun 1868 ,Isle Anglesea, Wales

Died: 1953, Defuniak Springs, Florida, USA

Marriage: Apr 1895 in Lincoln, WA,

Catherine (Katherine) Ines (Inez) Broady

Born: 29 Feb 1879 in Marion, Oregon, USA

Died: May 1915 in Watrous, Saskatchewan, Canada

(They had 8 children)

Marriage 2: 1921 in Florida, USA

Elizabeth Thomas

Born: abt 1897

Died: Defuniak Springs, Florida, USA

NOTES on Bob:

Immigration: Spring 1888 WALES To New York, NY

Residence: Fall 1888 WISCONSIN

Residence: 1889 Beaverhead Co., MT

PURC: r1890-1894 Edwall, Lincoln Co., WA

Residence: r1893-1894 MONTANA

PURC: 1900 Edwall, Lincoln Co., WA

Note: Sold ranch and purchased 160 acres (nearly all fenced) to rais e

Note: cattle and sheep

Residence: 1900 Summit Valley (above Addy) - Addy, Steven's Co., WA

Residence: 1904 Dunn, Steven's Co., WA

NATURALIZED: 2 JUN 1904 Coleville, Stevens Co., WA (Superior Court of Steven's Co.)

Residence: Spring 1905 Watrous, Saskatchewan, CANADA

Residence: 1918 DeFuniak Springs, FL

Death: AFT 1953 in DeFuniak Springs, FL

Burial: DeFuniak Springs, FL?

ALIA: BOB

1930 United States Federal Census

Name: Robert Thomas

Home in 1930: De Funiak Springs, Walton, Florida

Age: 62

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1868

Birthplace: Wales

Relation to Head of House: Head

Spouse's Name: Elizabeth

Race: White

Household Members: Name Age

Robert Thomas 62 (Occupation: Dairy Farmer)

Elizabeth Thomas 33

Mary E Thomas 31

Olin Thomas 18

Hazel L Thomas 13

Marjory I Thomas 8

Ralph W Thomas 5

Donald K Thomas 3 7/12 (3 yrs. 7 mon)

Peter Dunn 86 (Lodger)

Emma L Thomas 21

I thought I entered an answer already, but I would double check Watrous, Saskatchewan, Canada where his first wife is thought to be buried. It is not that unusual for a husband to be buried with his first wife even after moving and remarrying. (At least a couple in my family have done that.) It seems kind of a like a stretch in this case, but if you're not having any success looking in Walton Co. FL I'd at least research that as a possibility.

Also, you could see if you can find Annie Elizabeth Thomas and find Robert "Bob" there as well. Obviously if you could track down someone that was living then that may have attended the funeral it may help as well, e.g. a grandchild old enough and nearby at the time to be present.

I think someone else mentioned it but a small donation to an area library to find an Obituary for "Bob" may also pay off in spades, be sure to include the estimated time of death, abt. 1955.

Good luck and happy hunting.

two tips...

You may have the correct name/ spelling, etc... but the record is filed with a misspelling. Or.. first/middle name can be transposed on the computer index.

If I recall the area.. it is somewhat rural. If elderly, he MAY have moved to nursing home just prior to death, or died in large hospital in adjacent county.

These are just a couple of roadblocks I have bumped into, in the past. I know a lot about searching...but the obvious will sometimes trip you up. He seems to be dead just a few years before ssdi index (I hate those!).

The alternative sometimes is (1) fresh eyes, or (2) a personal trip to the area, including where is wife buried? is he there, perhaps no stone?

Even with experience.. I miss lots of stuff that people here have picked up for me. It happens.

Hi Sherry -

I've been looking, found all the same records you did and nothing more!

Sometimes, the information we need the most just simply isn't available online yet. This can be extremely frustrating, as we all know!

I've had very good results when contacting the local library (who may be able to find a death notice from the local paper), from the County Recorder, or by contacting the local cemetery sexton and asking for any help they can give. (I see on findagrave.com that there are a couple of Thomas' in Magnolia Cemetery in Defuniak Springs, perhaps they are relatives you could contact?)

I think you'll find the information, but not online... Best of luck to you!

Source(s): ancestry.com, usgenweb, ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com, findagrave, defuniak springs newspaper archive site.