j~ asked in SportsBasketball · 1 decade ago

What should the Magic do with JJ Redick?

What should the Orlando Magic do with Redick?

I'm curious as to what you guy's think because it's sort of a controversial issue. He's a good pure shooter that's capable of starting for a weaker NBA team in my eyes, but then again there's that issue with athleticism, defense, and the Magic are a bit reluctant to deal out their 1st Round pick even though they have no real use for him. What do you guys think they should do with him?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • acleex
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Trade him to a team that could use a solid backup shooting guard. The Wizards could use Redick for spot up duty. We are one of the worst three point shooting teams in the league, percentagewise, and JJ can shoot. I also think that he has more potential to be a backup point guard than people will give him credit for, given that he has a great basketball IQ. People who are fans of an NBA team that needs another shooter but who hate Duke and of course JJ should get a life and try to get him on their team. He will not be the next Reggie Miller, but he should be a decent team player.

• 4 years ago

What up Matt H, For whatever reason the Magic have been somewhat insistent on keeping JJ. The last 2 years JJ has been asking for a trade because he was wasting way on the Magic bench- but the Magic have refused to trade him for some reason. Part of the reason it was reported that he wasn't getting playing time was that Stan Van Gundy was not pleased with Reddick's defense. Because of the lack of exposure i don't know that you would be able to get a first round pick for Reddick, but it'd be worth shopping around if you could get what you want. i think Orlando actually well keep Reddick and he may even have a shot to compete for the starting job at the 3. With Hedo Turkgolu announcing that he will opt out for free agency it's possible that Reddick takes the 3, Rashard goes to the 4, and the Magic try to obtain a true 4 and that would then make Reddick like a 6th man for the Magic (kind of like a Jason Kapono type player) who can fill in the gaps at the 2 and 3 positions. Damion James is going back to school but i think Taj Gibson would be a great pick-up... i'm actually hoping the Lakers could pick him up. Nickster

• 1 decade ago

Well the Magic were thinking of trading him to Phoenix for Grant Hill to get him back because he's an older veteran whose not doing much for Phoenix. I've talked to JJ he has his spirits up and he just keeps going. I mean he asked for a trade and that got rejected. I really think he could be better on a team where he can really shine and he should get put on a team where he could be if not the main provider the second in the rotation for his position instead of getting benched.

• He's a pure pure shooter and that's all he wants to do. The Magic drafted him too high, and they know it. They thought they could help his overall game and make him a great player.

Plan has not fallen through thus far, but they continue to work with him and brace him for the time they need him.

obviously it's not now because Courtney Lee seems to be their more likable option.

I think they keep him on the bench and hope he breaks out. If nothing happens for Orlando, I think he could be inolved in an off-season deal for a big man.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Magic are just wasting what can be a solid NBA career for JJ. I think they should just trade or release him.

• 1 decade ago

they should use him or lose him. i feel bad for him because the magic are wasting his carreer. he is a good player and can score when he gets the playing time. he is one of the best shooters in the nba.

• 1 decade ago

hes a great 3 point shooter they need those for bug games nd in playoffs keep him and play him or trade him so someother team can play him

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Im a huge Duke fan and i love JJ...but you gotta admit...right now...he sucks....soo...if i am the Magic coach, i say JJ.....you have to start lifting...JJ is not big enough to be in the NBA.....he is good enough..just not big enough....he needs to lift and grow and needs more experience

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Get rid of him!

He has the potential, but he doesn't get the playing time.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Just let him sit on the bench

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.