Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 1 decade ago

What act should you put a montage in (screenwriting question)?

Writing a screenplay and thinking of putting a montage in act 1. Is there a norm usually where montage's are placed?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A screenplay is just a story that is being told, except that it is an end to a means...that being the film itself.

With that in mind, ANY element you want/need to put into your story goes wherever it should. A montage is essentially a way to truncate a period of time so that the important moments happen quickly in "screen time." Popular montages are usually women trying on clothes to find just the right outfit for a big event.

If at all possible, you want to avoid gimmicks like this (also flashbacks) because they can pull an audience out of the story as it reminds them that they are watching a movie. If there is any way you can get the point across without resorting to gimmicks, your final movie will be better.

For help writing screenplays, I've found that the book: Film Scriptwriting, Second Edition: A Practical Manual

by Dwight V Swain (Author), JOYE R SWAIN is the best resource for new and aspiring writers.

I also HIGHLY urge you to read every page of the website: Wordplayer.com

If you need more resources to help you in your film career, visit http://www.whatireallywanttodo.com and click on the "Additional Resources" link at the top.

Good luck!

Brian Dzyak

Cameraman/Author

IATSE Local 600, SOC

http://www.whatireallywanttodo.com

• 1 decade ago

NO THERE IS NO "NORM" FOR A MONTAGE.

IT CAN BE BE ANYWHERE IN A SCREENPLAY - SOMETIMES A MOVIE OPENS WITH A MONTAGE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE CHARACTERS IN LITTLE BITS AND PIECES - LIKE SAY - A BUNCH OF BEST FRIENDS ARE GOING ON A VACATION TOGETHER - YOU MIGHT HAVE A MONTAGE IN THE OPENING CREDITS THAT SHOWS EACH ONE OF THEM PACKING CLOTHES AND STUFF TO TAKE WITH THEM WHILE MUSIC PLAYS UNDER ( MUSIC ALWAYS GOES IN A MONTAGE - IT KEEPS THE PACE GOING).

FREQUENTLY IN A LOVE STORY THERE IS A MONTAGE AFTER THE COUPLE STARTS DATING TO SHOW THEM SPENDING A LOT OF FUN TIME TOGETHER - THAT IS OFTEN IN THE THE FIRST ACT OR THE THE 2ND ACT. ( OR ON THE OPPOSITE END) - WHEN A COUPLE BREAKS UP - YOU MIGHT DO A MONTAGE TO SHOW THEM ALONE IN THEIR RESPECTIVE HOMES BEING LONELY OR GOING ON A LOT OF BAD DATES WITH OTHER PEOPLE. THAT'S USUALLY IN THE 2ND ACT.

OR IN AN ACTION FILM THERE IS OFTEN A MONTAGE GETTING READY FOR THE BIG FINALE IN THE 3RD ACT TO SEE THEM PREPPING FOR A BIG RACE OR A FIGHT OR A BANK HEIST ETC...

MONTAGES ARE GREAT VEHICLES FOR MOVING YOUR STORY FORWARD IN A QUICK AND EXCITING WAY ( OR FUNNY - IN A COMEDY)

ONE OF THE MOST FAMOUS MONTAGES IS IN "THE GODFATHER"

WHILE AL PACINOS' SON IS BEING BAPTIZED IN A CHURCH - HIS HENCHMEN ARE ALL OUT KILLING HIS ENEMIES 1 BY 1 - BUT AL IS IN A CHURCH WITH HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE - PERFECT ALIBI!

PUT YOUR MONTAGE WHEREVER YOU FEEL IT "MOVES THE STORY FORWARD" - TELLS US MORE ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON - OR TO SHOW A PASSAGE OF TIME AS IN THE SEASONS PASSING....

GOOD LUCK!

• 4 years ago

Yeah, possibly right this moment became into one among em. I appeared on the calendar right this moment and found out it became into Oct 26. My mom has been ineffective 11 years right this moment, and that i've got felt a splash blue. too plenty i've got lost....this is going to likely be ok, although.....fakeeee smile.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.