mollie asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

i am a sex addict looking for help.?

i googled to try and find some help. i am looking for a treatment center where i could stay there for a week or two. the places i looked up seemed more focused on the sex part of the treatment and not WHY we are sex addicts. (self esteem, insecure, etc) i am looking for a place that focuses on that. i perfer a place away from my home where i can live there. thank you for your help. if it matters, i am 19/f

Favorite Answer

For those things you are better off with a clinical psychologist. Self esteem/confidence is addressed in section 38, at http://www.ezy-build.net.nz/~shaneris Addictions are addressed in section 52, and there is some information & weblinks on sex addiction, and support groups (also try Groups, at www.myspace.com, Google, & Yahoo). Volunteer, even from home, at first, to provide a solid basis in reality for the daily affirmations: "I am a good person, who is valued by my community, because I.. (insert activity here)..". Section 47 refers. On volunteering outside the home, you will come into contact with supportive people, and receive positive feedback for your efforts, which will be obviously appreciated: there are many options; one is sure to suit you. Make a list of all your good points, strengths, and achievements. Put it somewhere so you can easily refer to it, from time to time; perhaps on the refrigerator door, or print it; (large typeface, or capitalise) have it framed, and place in your bedroom, or in a position of prominence, such as on the television, or lounge room wall. Practise one of the relaxation methods on pages 2, 11, 2c, or 2i, daily, and when needed. Also, give the EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you . Section 53, and pages 2, 2.q and 2.o at ezy-build also refer. "Even though I sometimes have low self esteem/self confidence, I deeply and completely accept myself". Read: "Lift your mood now." by John D Preston, Psy.D. 2001, New Harbinger Publications, Inc., 5674 Shattuck Avenue, Oakland. CA 94609

http://www.amazon.com/ may be worth trying for this, (you could also enter "self esteem" in their searchbar) because it approaches the building of self esteem using a different, but equally valid method. As one insightful (paraphrasing poetically) person put it: an affirmation, without foundation is mere mental masturbation. If you are one of the 40% of people who are fairly suggestible, you may wish to consider professional hypnotherapy, or: Overcoming Insecurity -

Overcoming Insecurity Hypnosis Download &

Esteem Booster - Self Esteem Booster Hypnosis Download -

http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/ or from: http://www.asktheinternettherapist.com/hypnosis_hy... - Self-esteem - Forest - Tape - A hypnosis CD or tape with suggestions for mental health, wellness and self-esteem using forest guided imagery and hypnotic trance. By Jef Gazley, M.S., LMFT, Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist or: Self-esteem - Beach.

A good therapist will get you to examine the appropriateness of your actions, or thought patterns, and offer the occasional suggestion.

Some therapists, however, work from an "I know best" basis, and, even though they may actually do know best, their approach often isn't as conducive to progress as others, who take more of a middle position. On the other hand, there are those who try to be your friend, when what you really need is expert help. I suggest that you try at least 3 new therapists, and initially select one you feel most comfortable with, because a good degree of rapport (which takes time to build) can help a lot, with therapy. Closely examine the http://1-800-therapist.com/ & http://www.metanoia.org/choose/ websites, and use the locators, there, and/or in the index page of section 1, at ezy-build (and phone book, but only if necessary).

Personally, I'd select a clinical psychologist who believes in only recommending minimal necessary medication, if at all, because they don't issue prescriptions, so are considerably less likely to be involved with the rewards, and inducements offered by sales reps from "big pharma": the large drug companies, to psychiatrists.

It's a good idea to start out with a clinical psychologist who uses Cognitive Behavio(u)ral Therapy. It often can accomplish all it is capable of, in 6 months, and to fix that time limit in the first session. In that way, the therapist knows that there is only a limited window of opportuntiy to do what they can, and there is no unconscious motivation to attempt to draw things out.

Source(s): If, at the end of that time, you believe you could benefit from a little more therapy, then you can extend it, but I'd advise the therapist a few weeks before the final session, in case they are considering taking on a new patient, leaving you "high, and dry" committed, and without options, except to find someone else. Learn to assess, and rate your therapist, after a while: sometimes it's better to move on, and find someone who you feel can help you more, but not if you've just reached an unpleasant part of the therapy, which part of you would rather avoid.

Find a replacement for the addiction. Whenever you feel the need for sex do something else! For example, exercise! You have to have a strong will and stop yourself from giving in to the urges. It's hard but possible.

Source(s): I've had an addiction before.

Jesus can cure your sex addiction. If you believe in Him, the first thing to do is pray to Him about how bad you feel and that you believe that He can fix it. Then I guarantee something will begin to take effect. The next step which will require some bravery is to find a church and talk with the pastor. Arrange a time to meet with the pastor and tell him your situation. Church pastors deal with a LOT of people and they won't be alarmed by what you tell them. They know that pornography is an extremely widespread problem. They will keep things confidential.

people are such frigen idiots on here somedays.

Hi!! I am a teen and i am a girl and i have struggled with addictions with masturbating. And TRUST me will power dosnt cut it. It helps, but the point of addiction is where will power doesn't help you.

To be honest I would imagine any pshychaitrist or pshcologist will help you understand the reasons you do the things you do, they will help you identitfy your problems which enables you some help to get over it. I understand how depressing it can get to be controlled by something.

I also advise you to read books on phscology, they have books that help people who are in your type of position. Phscology books teach you how to gain self-control, and well they teach you a lot about how people's minds worked. I like reading them anyways. I wish you luck and also I don't know if you believe in any religion, but finding God helps, but for some people they don't want to, what you need right now is freedom, but I will tell you that what you believe in can and will help you, best wishes!

USE THE 411 AND LOOK UP THE SEXUAL ADDICTION SERVICE IN YOUR COMMUNITY THEY HAVE MEETING LIKE ALCOHOLICS

Just like there are 12step programs for other addictions...like alcohol, food, relationships...there are 12 step programs for sex addicts. Check if your community has a Sex Addicts Anonymous group. Good Luck.

Why do you think you need to go to a center for sex addicts? You will meet other sex addicts there and guess what will happen? If you want that - well there you are. Duh. If you actually want to get better, find a psychologist or a psychiatrist who will work with you on a one to one basis to discover with you the causes of this. It is often a personality disorder where you are too focused on the needs of yourself and not on the needs and feelings of others. If you are a 19 year old heterosexual addict- perhaps a female therapist would be a better choice than a male.

im only fifteen, but don't you think you could find a way to help yourself? like without going to a treatment center? im not saying that i know what its like to be i your position but i imagine if i were the first thing id do would be to talk about it with someone who loves me or find a local psyciatrist to talk to. i wish you well!

Source(s): ive only had sex once...

Look in the phone book. Look under mental health in your county government pages. Call and ask them the who, what, where, when and why, etc. I wish you luck and God speed.

Perhaps you don't know any other way to be happy. I think you need to answer this one yourself. But, then again, people base their careers on sex--so the choice is yours.