I need a computer mouse that will travel further on-screen for smaller hand movements-please advise?

Searching reveals DPI may have something to do with it-would a gaming mouse be good for this? Also, something that I can use both left and right handed. Thanks
Update: Thanks for the speedy resposes, folks. I'd already adjusted to the highest setting windows allows-but I'd still like a greater range of motion for the same amount of hand movement. The gaming mice seem the best. That said, it's not for gaming-just everyday use. Is there a downside to these mice for... show more Thanks for the speedy resposes, folks. I'd already adjusted to the highest setting windows allows-but I'd still like a greater range of motion for the same amount of hand movement. The gaming mice seem the best. That said, it's not for gaming-just everyday use. Is there a downside to these mice for general use or do they rock?