Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

To All Christians and Jewish people, what is the significance of the church building?

What is the significance of the Church building?

maybe my Catholic Brothers and sisters and maybe our Jewish brothers and sisters would know too.

Made it possible for people to get together for the liturgy of the Church. This is without question an essential function of church buildings and distinguishes them from the classical form of the temple in most religions.

Page 62, THE SPIRIT OF THE LITURGY

By POPE BENEDICT XVI.

A Tutti i Cristiano ed i miei Cari Fratelli e mio Suore nella Chiesa cattolica; Io voglio augurarLa tutti un anno Nuovo e felice ed un resto Benedetto della Stagione di Natale. Capire questa domanda, Lei deve capire la fede cattolica; ed anche lesse il libro Lo Spirito della Liturgia da Benedetto di Papa XVI. Abbia un anni Nuovi e Sicuri ed il resto della Stagione di Natale. La Festa Pagana era la settimana di fronte alla settimana di Natale. A Lei, Feste Felici.

To All Christians and my Dear Brothers and Sisters in the Catholic Church;

I want to wish you all a happy New Year and a Blessed rest of the Christmas Season. To Understand this question, you must understand the Catholic faith; and also read the book The Spirit of the Liturgy by Pope Benedict XVI. Have a Safe New Years and the rest of the Christmas Season. The Pagan Holiday was the week before the Christmas Week. To you, Happy Holidays.

Allen Christen und meinen Lieben Geschwistern in der Katholischen Kirche; ich will Sie alles ein glückliches Neujahr und eine Selige Ruhe(Rest) der Weihnachten-Jahreszeit wünschen. Um diese Frage Zu verstehen, müssen Sie den Katholischen Glauben verstehen; und auch gelesen(angezeigt) das Buch Der Geist der Liturgie durch Papst Benedict XVI. Haben Sie Sichere Neujahrstage und die Ruhe(Rest) der Weihnachten-Jahreszeit. Der Heidnische Urlaub war die Woche vor der Weihnachten-Woche. Zu Ihnen, Glückliche Feiertage.

All my new questions aren't in scriptures, sometimes I give quotes from scriptures with them; but All my Questions and Answers Come From Pope Benedict XVI this time.

Hats should Never be worn into the Church at any time; because Jesus is always in there. Catholics have this red lamp that is always lighted; that is the Eternal Fire or Eternal Light to show Christ is there and we have his home in the tabernacle too.

Pappy, put down the bible and use your greatest tool from God; Your Brain and think about the question and information I give you.

• Favorite Answer

When Jesus asked St. Paul to "build my church" and St Paul started to build a church, God meant to start the church with giving the people His mass. He didn't mean to build a building. He wanted St. Paul to gather His flock. The building is nice but if you have a priest, Jesus can be present anywhere.God bless you.

If you are going for the styles of the church building, A Basilica is a church and within it it has several altars in it and many Masses can happen at the same time by different priests, in the individual churches. A Cathedral is very similar and the capacity for the amount of people is very large. This church usually holds the Bishop or Cardinal in that district. Also a Basilica can do the same. Then there's the church where a local pastor is in charge of, in each town or city. Then there's a Chapel some are on the cemetery grounds where a Mass can be done at any time. Like Memorial holidays, where we go and pray for the dead. That's about it for the buildings.

However it is not a concert hall and one should enter with the greatest respect, for Jesus is in each and everyone of these buildings and the purpose of visiting is to be with Him, in His Home. Not to discuss where you are going to breakfast after you go to Mass, or saying Hi to the person who is 3 aisles away from you and have to shout to say it.

BTW: HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Source(s): Roman Catholic, Pray the Rosary daily.

Let me preface this by saying being a member of a Catholic church does not exclude you from being a true Christian, however... What you are saying is ignoring the Protestant movement all together, and the history of the Catholic Church. In the time of Martin Luther, a German priest, the Catholic church was corrupt to the point that you could pay an exact price to be absolved from a sin, so if you wanted to rape someone you could pay a certain amount and be able to do it. It was called indulgences. For many years the Catholic church prohibited the public from reading the Bible, or translating it from Latin to anything else. Only the priests could read the Bible. The Catholic church looks the other way when great heresies and cults are formed within the Church such as people worshiping Mary the Mother of Jesus. The false doctrines, errors, and immoral practices of the Catholic church is a very long list. Space does not permit what I have to say about the Catholic church. I was raised a Catholic, and I became a believer in Christ when I was in the Catholic church, so you can be saved, but the Catholic church says that if I leave the Church I'm going to hell. So who's saying who is not a Christian?? The Catholic Church is.

• pappyg

Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Building not needed to worship God! It just to keep us out of the weather. The building is not Holy. Psa 99:9 Exalt the LORD our God, and worship at his holy hill; for the LORD our God is holy.

Rev 4:8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

Source(s): KJV

I was raise in the Baptist tradition and read this with question and find it very interesting.

As a child I was taught that when entering a church it was with the up most respect.

It was acceptable for a woman to wear a hat in a church but not a man.

Men were and are to take off there hat when entering a building.

The U.S. military observes this same rule, accept all who are in uniform must remove there hat, male and female.

The building is treated as the house of God, with a great deal of respect. I really see a great deal of similarities between the answers with some key differences.

A Happy and Safe New Year and Gods Blessings to all.

Die Kirche is wo Menschen kirchelied Singen, Gott zuloben und Messe beleigten. Es ist auch die naehsten platz an dem Himmel von Christsus Koningreich

Ich darf dich Ueberaschen. ich komme nicht aus Deutschland oder anderen Europasichen land, Ich komme aus Singapur

Ich schike euch mein NeuJahr Begrusssung

Source(s): Roman Catholic.Pray the Rosary

Jews in ancient times had a Temple, which was a very special building. Animal sacrifices were done there, the Ark of the Covenant was kept there, and there was a special spiritual significance to the building itself. There were other buildings where Jews met for religious services and ceremonies, and those were called 'synagogues', which only means 'meeting places'.

When the Temple was destroyed, the whole nature of Judaism changed. Judaism entered a new age called the 'rabbinic age' in which we are still. There were no more animal sacrifices, just for starters, and the priesthood was abolished. Today some groups of Jews call their meeting places 'temples' (with a small 't') but they are really only synagogues.

I believe Protestantism works the same way, a church is just a building. I think Catholicism puts special significance in their churches, or did at one time. But then Catholics still have a priesthood, which most Protestant groups don't.

As someone else here said before me, the 'church' that Jesus talked about was the body of believers, not a building.

Church is not a building nor a club with membership but the body of believers that Jesus Christ is Lord. There is no significance of the building. God bless.

Money.

• Bubba

for people to gather around and belive in something. It creates warmth, happines, and something for old people to spend their lives happily