what are the requirements to be a contestant on American Idol?
I went to americanidol.com and that was of no help. I read somewhere that the highest age was 28. Then i read that it was 26, then 30. I read they were changing the lowest age to 14, then 16. Help?..Please.
- Anonymous1 decade agoFavorite Answer
You must be able to prove at the time of your audition, if any, that:
* You are a legal U.S. citizen or a permanent U.S. resident who is eligible to work full-time in the United States; and
You are ineligible to participate if you progressed in any previous season of "American Idol" to any of the following levels:
* Season 1 – top 30 contestants
* Season 2 – top 32 contestants
* Season 3 – top 32 contestants
* Season 4 – top 44 contestants
* Season 5 – top 44 contestants
* Season 6 - IDK??
* Season 7 - IDK??
If you are asked to audition for the semi-final rounds of the competition in the Los Angeles, California, area, you MUST be able to demonstrate (before departing for Los Angeles) that you do not have any of the following:
* a contract for talent representation (for example, a talent agent or manager);
* a music recording contract;
* an acting and/or modeling contract;
* a merchandising agreement; or,
* any other contractual arrangement that would prohibit you from entering into an exclusive management contract, recording contract, talent contract, acting contract and/or merchandising contract.
You are ineligible if you, or any member of your immediate family and/or anyone living in your household, is an employee, officer, director, agent and/or representative of Fox Broadcasting Company, American Idol Productions, Inc., FremantleMedia North America, Inc., 19 TV Limited., CKX, Inc., Cingular, Telescope, Coca-Cola, the Ford Motor Company, Sony/BMG, production personnel for the television program, participating television stations, advertising agencies, corporate sponsors or any person or entity connected with the production, administration or judging of the auditions, or any of the parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, agents or representatives of any of the foregoing entities.
THE AUDITION PROCESS
When to Line Up: All information concerning the auditions is tentative at this time. Audition cities, dates and/or times may change. If the past five seasons are any indication, we are expecting a huge turnout in each city. You should therefore plan on arriving as early as allowed at your audition venue. Continue to check the website at www.americanidol.com for further details. Keep in mind that there is no guarantee that you will be seen for an audition. There will be no overnight camping inside or outside any of the venues this year.
Locations, Dates and Time: It is anticipated that auditions will start no later than 8:00 a.m. on the first audition day in each city. Even if you are in line before 8:00 a.m., producers cannot guarantee that you will be seen for an audition. In addition, many venues will prevent people from lining up before 6:00 a.m., so you must continue to check our website at www.americanidol.com for the most up-to-date audition schedule and information. Tentative audition cities are listed below. THESE LOCATIONS, DATES AND TIMES ARE ALL SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
What to Bring to the Auditions:
* Identification: You must bring two forms of identification that show proof of your age and a photograph (for example, a birth certificate and driver's license or a birth certificate and a passport or a birth certificate and a school ID card). If your birth certificate was not issued in the United States, you must also bring proof of citizenship and/or permanent U.S. residency.
* Release: Print out and sign the release form provided at www.americanidol.com. These release forms will only be available in a limited supply at the audition venues, so please bring the completed form with you.
* Under 18: If you are under 18 years of age, you must be accompanied by your parent or legal guardian. If you are accompanied by a legal guardian (as opposed to a parent), your legal guardian must bring proof of guardianship or you will not be able to audition. In addition, your parent or legal guardian must have the authority to sign documents on your behalf, including the release form on the website (which should be signed by you and your parent and/or legal guardian, as indicated on the form).
What to Wear to the Auditions: Please do not wear any clothing items that reveal any tattoos, that have designer names, sports teams, or any other logos or brand names, or bearing the name or likeness of a celebrity, living or dead. If you do wear such clothing, you may be required to remove it or turn it inside out or put on additional clothing to cover it.
What to Sing at the Auditions: Be prepared to sing a cappella (without music) a song of your choice. If you are called back for the first recall, you may be asked to sing two songs a cappella, one of which may be from a list that will be provided to you by the producer at that time. The other song, if requested by producer, may be a song of your choice. All rules and procedures are subject to change at producer's sole and absolute discretion.
Rules In Line: You MUST be in line by 8:00 a.m. on the actual audition day iSource(s): Eek that's long. :P
- Anonymous1 decade ago
As far as I know the lowest age was 16 and the highest is like... 35 maybe. hope that helps.
- ?Lv 43 years ago
one element i found out is that if the contestant has a tragic sufficient tale to make you desire to cry, then they generally make it to Hollywood. I additionally think of the sob-memories are annoying.
- 1 decade ago
You gotta be a miget and 5 years old
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- 1 decade ago
the cutoff is 28, i believe..but then look at taylor hicks.
- 1 decade ago
the only requirements are have a good voice, and be good looking!!!