Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Building new gaming PC - Tips?

I'm building a new PC from my old one. Here are my OLD specs:

7900GT

Nforce 4 SLI edition

80gb HDD

600w PSU

amd 64 3200+

2gb ddr400

Here is my new PC part specs:

geforce 9800gtx

AMD phenom 9850

4gb ddr 1066

mobo

500gb HDD

same 600w PSU

Now, would this be considered a good build? I'm going to be playing Crysis at 1680x1050 with No Antialiasing. How long would you say this computer would last? I stand playing games at medium, so I would estimate about 3 years, right? Any help appreciated.

BTW - I know everyone is going to say "Get the ATI HD 4850 instead", but I'm stick with Nvidia anyway. Any other help greatly appreciated.

Update:

Also BTW - I haven't ordered yet, so I can make changes before doing so. Thx.

Update 2:

I am getting a new motherboard, from 939 to am2+.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Dean B
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Are you still using the old motherboard? if not you may as well do up a brand new PC, n keep the old one intact, stick Linux on it or summit give it a decent sized hard drive n run it as a media server.

And don't make the novice mistake n neglect the PSU. It powers everything in your PC, it's important, do not use an old PSU, that will be dusty, warn out, etc. I have a 8800GTS n Q6600 on 650W, n the GPU power's down/blacks out every now n then, so a 9800GTX will prob's use a tad more than that.

But overall a good system, and yeah I reckon it should run new games for next 3 years, If you get a decent motherboard you should be able to do incremental upgrades to it. like one with support for DDR3 3 PCI-E 16X slot's etc.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Mate searching at what you've were given there you've a quite awsesom device my purely ideas might want to be right here HDD: change over to 2 500gb WD 7200 RPM drives Sound: get a XfiGamer and a Logitech Z-5500 speaker device we dont have Patriot ram right here so some distance as i comprehend yet corsair (imagine dats the way you spell it) is between the perfect Dont worry with vista as yet. I actually have both 32bit and 64bit and its more beneficial positive only to stay with XP till the service %. comes out and this count is continually a warm topic and a count of decision yet i might want to point an ATI card over Nvidia desire this helps jazza

• 1 decade ago

My only suggestion would be to go with Intel Core 2 Duo, or possibly Intel Quad Core processor... preferably a 2.6Ghz or higher.

Intel are great, I was unsatisfied with my last AMD processor.

Otherwise, it seems good overall.

I agree with you on Nvidia, even the standard ones are of high-quality.

• 1 decade ago

i think everything is fine .

Try to get a better graphic card which will last longer .

I would also suggest you to get a intel i7

or core 2 quad

or core 2 duo

at a decent speed ( 3ghz ).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.