.45 ACP vs. 9x19 Parabellum?

OK, folks... I want to hear your opinions as to what makes a better military sidearm round. The heavy hitting .45 ACP??? Or the classic 9x19??? No wrong answers here, folks. I want to hear what you think. Keep it civil, please, and list any personal experiences you have.

Favorite Answer

For military I would say the .45 ACP. Its effective, and American. The .45 ACP cartridge has a reputation for effectiveness against human targets because its large diameter creates a deep and substantial permanent wound channel which lowers blood pressure more rapidly then the 9X19 Parabellum.

Parabellum 45

I'd say the .45

Neither one can pierce body armor, but the Parabellum rounds can overpenetrate unarmored personnel. This means that they go through a person without imparting all of their energy=less stopping power. The big ol' .45 hits ya, and knocks you down. Furthermore, the subsonic .45 rounds are more silencer friendly.

I also think I read that Special Forces troops were given the chance to keep their 1911's instead of getting new Beretta's, and they opted for the .45

For home defense, though, it is a hard call. The .45 pistols out their have a lower ammunition capacity than do the 9mm pistols, so with a .45 you need to make your shots count--though, when they do, they count BIG TIME.

well I'm just a kid that wants to go to the USNA, then after the Force Recon Marines then a few years later the SEALS but I have to say that even I was thinking of taking with me the Smith and Wesson 1911 pistol (replica with modifications of the 1911 Colt .45) which is a .45 ACP. Why? because for many years the Colt has served our country and kicked *** for our country. If its been in use for so long and works, then why change? Thats just my thoughts on it anyway...

Source(s): John Wayne!

Actually, I think the Glock 36 just became their friend if they can carry at all. The point below was well made about Cuomo violating the New York Constitution. I tend to agree with some of the conservative pundits that Obama badly misjudged the actual feeling of his base after Newtown. Evidently people just aren't compelled that he can or maybe wants to keep them safe. I personally think he has almost no dog in the fight personally at all and was (and is) still looking for an easy legislative win to stamp by his name. However, as this is turning tougher than he thought, I think they are backpeddling and it is causing the REAL lunies - like Cuomo to panic, particularly as we get further and further from Newtown and the continuing evidence that nothing that has been proposed by the gun control lobby would have made any difference there. Thinkingblade

• Best point of aim weapon Gov. Model 1911 .45 acp

9x19 lower knock down power high capacity make up for the lower knock down. I carry M9 use 147 grain jacketed hollow-point +p+ rounds about the same knock down power of 175 grain wad cutter.

Vet-USAF

definately the .45 because it has more stopping power and even if someone is wearing a kevlar vest it could still cause massive trauma if the person is hit. it doesnt matter that it has less velocity because handguns arent meant to shoot any longer than 50 ft. (except maybe revolvers with 6" barrels). my favorite is my sig p229 in .40 because you get good velocity and a lot of stopping power without much recoil.

I've carried both in combat and both are goo side arms, but i liked the .45 acp NICE.

• sparky

I prefer the good old .45.

Source(s): Springfield armory 1911 .45

.45ACP, delivers more energy and knocks your target down.

Personally, I wouldn't use either caliber for personal defense, or any handgun for that matter. I stick with a big, powerful rifle in .375 H&H, 4,560 foot pounds of energy. That bad boy can kill elephants, so you know its good.