Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Themes & Motifs in American Psycho?

I loved the movie, am reading the book, and wondered if anyone wanted to discuss elements of the story/Patrick Bateman, because, face it, it's brilliant!

-color imagery: white (Patrick's apartment decor, the white paint covering Paul Allen's old home) I took this to represent a mask of purity and cleanliness covering the imperfections of Bateman's life. The gold of the Gilded Age in New York has been replaced by the whiteness of 1980's New York. You could even say the white color of cocaine represents this idea too.

-the significance of Jean, his secretary: in the movie, Jean is the only woman he tries to but does not succeed in killing. That fact really intrigues me, along with the kind of questions she was asking Bateman at his apartment, like if he ever wanted to make someone happy. I thought this was the emotional climax of the film. Whereas in other films there would be more overt emotion, this was the version of a climax in American Psycho. To me, the emotional nadir was the lawyer confession scene.

I thank anyone who takes the time to read this and respond! :)

• Diana
    Favorite Answer

Do you think white could be the blankness, emptiness, or lack of Patrick's soul. I know, white is all colors. But we do -- or I do -- think of it as blank. Right, the whole thing is about masks and how much importance we give outer appearance. One of the funniest scenes is Patrick dragging a dead body in a garbage bag past several people on a Manhattan sidewalk, and no one blinks an eye. Amazing what a man in an expensive suit can get away with!

It's been a long time since I read it; I wish I remembered more.

American Psycho Themes

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Themes & Motifs in American Psycho?

-color imagery: white (Patrick's apartment decor, the white paint covering Paul Allen's old home) I took this to represent a mask...

Source(s): themes motifs american psycho: https://shortly.im/L25VO