I want to snowboard I just dont have the resources....?

Im a senior in highschool, I live in a vacation state where a lot of people come to snowboard, my issues is that my part time job is minimum wage. I get home at 6 everyday after a full day of school, then a few hours of work. I could make time on weekends (im usually pretty busy) I've only been snowboarding a couple times on class trips and that was at a very very discounted rate. By the time I save up enough money for a board, boots, bindings and a lift ticket the season will be over, and this time next year ill be in college. I really had a blast the few times i've gone, Im not looking for anything more then winter hobby....... when im at college I will still be living up north so I could still go in the winter....im 18 right now, is that too late to learn how to be decent at snowboarding? also what brand of board would you suggesst for someone starting out? (regular stance, something just for mountain slopes, im like 5'6" 5'7")

Favorite Answer

your best bet is to check craigslist or discount internet sites like the-house.com sierrasnowboards.com dogfunk.com and a bunch of other ones out there. on there your going to have a good selection, and depending on your budget, staying on the better end of board companies (with the exception of the very low end models, which would be a worse idea then a higher end, last seasons or the season befores) you'll have a board that is easier to ride, and will last you a bit longer, extending that buck as much as you can. ride, burton, rome, nitro, dc, capita are good overall board companies, but stand out girls boards come from Gnu, Omatic, and Roxy. Roxy and Gnu come from the same factory, so the boards are basically the same, with different graphics, and roxy being a girl drivin and specific company, will have more girl oriented graphics and specs. when it comes to bindings, dont go cheap. dont go overboard with it, you dont need 300 dollar bindings. but you dont want cheap bindings either. you should consider that the only thing holding you to your board is this peice of equipment, and your feet being comfortable as well as safely secured onto the board, while maximizing foot-to-board control is vital to progressing correctly and easily thru the fundamentals of snowboarding. when it comes to your boots, your very best bet is to go to every snowboard shop, or sports general store that sells snowboard boots, and try on every boot, of every price, of every brand, and switch the sizes up. everyones feet are different, and you will not know how your feet feel in a boot untill you get a chance to put your foot in it and wiggle it around a bit. your feet should be snug. your heels should be secure WITHOUT heel movement. your toes should TOUCH the toe end of the boot, not cramped but they should be very snug to the toe of the boot. when you have your boot on, stand up and flex the boot forward, check if it pinches your foot in anyway, also see if your toes come back just enough to brush the front toe of the boot, without your heels moving. feel the width of the toebox, make sure your not being pinched as this is exagerated with pressure. lastly, make sure the boot doesnt constrict circulation anywhere on your foot. decresed circulation in cold weather could lead to frostbite in your toes. no good! a perfect fitting boot will feel just that, perfect. snug throughout, supportive, and very comfortable. being comfortable is KEY to enjoying yourself on the hill, and a well-fit boot will be key to ensuring quick and easy learning of the fundamentals. when you find your boot, unless its some ungodly 60% off or whatever from retail, go home and come online. do a google search for the brand and name, try to find your size in the random online websites, i've found current year boots at 40+ % off online just searching around. as for getting up to the mountain and payin for your liftie, you might need to do some extra hours in work, possibly wash a car or 2, anything that will get you those extra few bucks. look around on your local resorts website see if you can find any discount tickets, most places usually have something going on. also try places that usually sell discount tickets, costco, samsclub, grocery stores and the like. my local's normal rate is 54$ but i have a cupon for 30 bucks mid week. next year, get a season pass! or even better, try to get a job on the mountain. free season pass and discounts on gear most of the time. good luck and have alot of fun on the hill!

Source(s): been snowboardin most of my 23 years alive.

Hi I have tried to wax a snowboard and it is actually quite hard. Also if the snowboard is brand new they wax them in the factories where they are made. I know this because I make them myself. I would recommend just getting it waxed at the resort that you snowboard at. It costs around 3 bucks and it saves you a lot of work also they know what there doing. It takes a lot of work. You have to get an iron and then melt the wax on. After that you need a special scraper to scrape all the wax off again.

first of all anything sized 150cm-153cm,

and its definitely not too late to start :P

some good brands of good prices are salomon, morrow, flow, LTD, and theres some burtons or k2's you can get for a good priced. if i was you i would look at used boards for sale, very cheap and still good to use

bummer