Question about vampires...?

According to most traditional vampire myths, vampires are dead and do not draw breath. Also, many myths (especially those found in eastern Europe) say that vampires cannot (or are afraid to) cross running water. So, my question is this: If a vampire doesn't breathe, and thus has no fear of drowning, then... show more According to most traditional vampire myths, vampires are dead and do not draw breath. Also, many myths (especially those found in eastern Europe) say that vampires cannot (or are afraid to) cross running water.

So, my question is this: If a vampire doesn't breathe, and thus has no fear of drowning, then why can't they cross water?

Please, serious ( well-thought-out or with historical references) answers only.
Update: Thank you "marilyn m," but I do in fact I know that vampires don't exist. This was a hypothetical question asked with the intention of people actually thinking about it and coming up with good, solid reasoning. Clearly, thinking is not your strong point...