Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificChina · 1 decade ago

Is it true that in China, it's not possible to Google certain words?

Words like "democracy", "human rights", "Tiannamen Square"

I heard that you get something like a Page Error message

Best Answer

This is true. From time to time the governement lets up on certain things and then clamps down again. Wikipedia was blocked for about 7 years and only now is available. It was only made available because of preassure from the IOC. It will be blocked again soon. Moreover, they have learned how to block proxy sites as well. You used to be able to see whatever through proxy but now they have it done up tight.

EDIT: To these other people looking for things and finding them, your not looking at what they don't want you to be looking. FYI try finding info on Falungong. Won't happen. Also, they still block individual pages on wiki.

It's not just this that's the problem either. When it gets bad the gov't blanket blocks entire blocks of IP's so if your website is hosted by say IX server and your IP is 1234 but anti-chinese websites IP's are 1235, 1233, 1232 and so on they just block all of them regardless of the content on your individual site and it can take months of petitioning to get it back up.

All internet into China runs through servers in Taiwan and bottle-necks there. It's called "The Great Firewall of China". They have amazing controll over the internet. I could go on for hours, but sufice it to say, yes they do block sites and or pages of sites. *If it's something big or respected like the NY Post or the BBC, these days they just block the individual pages that refer to what they don't want people seeing because just blocking the whole thing is too noticeable and just blocking certain pages is more time consuming but less people will pay attention that way.

Source(s): Lived in China 8 years.- run websties, know gov't people, read news, get blocked from websites, know many people in IT here.

yes, i agree with Fizzy's words, The gov. truly blocked a lot of internet info, trying to prevent people from knowing the true world. that is quite like an old ironical chinese story.

long long time ago, a thief, who wanted to steal a door bell, was afraid of being found by the owner. Because if he picked off the bell from the door, the bell would make sounds definitely. after thinking and thinking, the theif got a way to steal it.

He then blocked up his ears and took the bell. Everyone heard the sounds, except for the thief. He was definitly caught.

The thief's act is just like what the gov.is doing now.

I want to say that everyone can make their own way to know what they want to know. it is no use to simply set the limit on the access to internet. Pls dont let that ironical story happened again and again.

You can always google the things, but google in China will show the filtered results, unlike full results elsewhere.

And if you try to open the websites whose address you know, you will get "page error" or similar message

I don't think certain words are blocked, but the content you recieve is filtered. They censor a lot of things on the internet. You're not likely to google "human rights" in china and find an article about how bad human rights are there.

If you try and goto this page. On wiki (its blocked from there I'm sitting)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_by_Google

And click on reference 4 it will lead you to a link that google itself says that the google in China will block certain words to be able to do business in China

Google want to be able to make itself available in China, so they play by the Chinese regulations - there are "special" items which will not show up on the searches.

Source(s): Past experiences living in China.

Yes, its true. Google, Yahoo and all other Internet giants have accommodated CCP concerns in order to ensure their presence in the Chinese market.

Before you judge the answers you should read these two posts:

http://nz.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=An...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7783640.st...

i once typed in fcuk(with correct spelling) China and I got several answers. It is NOT getting answers from google that is the problem -it is just connecting to those websites once you get the answers

Source(s): five years in China which I think is about five years more than those people who said you can't google certain words

Yes, China has a filter that blocks sites from America and other countries from being viewed.

False: I am in China right now. I just Googled Tiananmen Square and the first listing is: Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 - Wikipedia

I read that the New York Times was banned, but can also access that.

Edit: Fizzy is right. I was not able to look up Falungong.