Need help for Ancestry.com?! Please!?

I do have a ancestry.com account but I don't have the money for after the free trial.

I have a hint but I can't look at it.

It's for my grandmother.

Ruth Cordell Gooden

Birth: 15 Dec 1913 in , Rockingham, Virginia, USA

Death: 28 Apr 2002 in , Rockingham, Virginia, USA

Can anybody tell me what the hint says if they can look at it?

I am really interested in who my family is and where they come from but my mom doesn't want to put the money out to find out who they are.

So, I'm kinda stuck.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

http://www.ancestry.com--One World Tree

Ruth Cordell Gooden

Born: 15 Dec 1913 ; Rockingham, Virginia

Died: 28 Apr 2002, Rockingham, Virginia

Burial: Mount Olivet Cemetery, McGaheysville, Rockingham County, Virginia 3 4

PARENTS: John R Gooden

B: 1870, Greene, VA

D: 1939, Rockingham, Virginia

Married: Nov. 4 1896 in Lewiston, VA.

Esta Ella Roach

B: 18 Apr 1872 in Rockingham, VA

D: 12 Dec 1959 in Rockingham, VA

Paternal GRANDPARENTS: (**would almost bet his full name was JAMES KNOX POLK GOODEN, after the President)

James K.P.** GOODEN (Occupation: Cooper-- One who makes barrels, hogshead casks, etc. )

Birth: 19 FEB 1845 in Rockingham Co., VA

Death: 24 OCT 1921 in Rockingham Co., VA

Married: 10 JUN 1867 in Rockingham Co., VA to

Angeline Morris

B: ABT 1844 in Virginia

D: 1911

Burial: Mt Olivet Cem, Mc Gaheysville, Rockingham, Virginia

Paternal GREAT-GRANDPARENTS:

Isaac Gooden (Father: Thomas GOODEN)

B: 12 APR 1816 in Shenandoah Co., VA

D: (no date shown)

Married: 30 AUG 1841 in Rockingham Co., VA to

Elizabeth Eppard (Parents: Johan George Eppard & Catherine Beesley)

B: 1807 in Rockingham Co., VA

D: 25 APR 1889 in Elkton, Rockingham Co., VA

Children--Isaac & Elizabeth:

1.George Harvey Gooden b: 29 DEC 1843 in Rockingham Co., VA

2.James K P Gooden b: 19 FEB 1845 in Rockingham Co., VA

3.Thomas Gooden b: 1846 in Rockingham Co., VA

4.Mary Frances Gooden b: DEC 1849 in Rockingham Co., VA

5.John P Gooden b: 6 SEP 1852 in Rockingham Co., VA

6.Virginia Gooden b: 1854 in Rockingham Co., VA

7.Sarah Frances Gooden b: 1857 in Rockingham Co., VA

8. William Gooden b: 1858 in Rockingham Co., VA

Paternal 2nd GREAT-GRANDPARENTS:

Thomas Gooden

B: ABT. 1796 in PA ;

D. 10 MAY 1853 in Upshur Co., WV ;

Burial: Lanham Cem., Queens, Washington District, Upshur Co., WV;

Married: 13 MAR 1815 in Shenandoah Co., VA to

Susannah Hoffman

B: 11 APR 1796 in Shenandoah Co., VA;

D. 22 DEC 1884 in Upshur Co., WV ;

Burial: Simmons Graves, Queens, Washington District, Upshur Co., WV;

( Her Father: Daniel Hoffman &

Mother: Margaret Bumgard);

Had 12 children with Thomas

Famous People related to Ruth Cordell Gooden: (5 stars shows high probability of an accurate relationship)

1. Eli Whitney (1765-1825) --American Inventor (cotton gin, 1794), Relationship: 6th Cousin 3 times removed--4 star accuracy

2. Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919) -- 26th President of the United States (first president to win the Nobel Peace Prize). Relationship: 7th Cousin 2 times removed --3 star accuracy

3. Clement Moore (1779-1863) --Author/ Poet who is most famous for "The Night Before Christmas". first published in 1823. Relationship: 6th Cousin 4 times removed --3 stars

4. Mark Twain (1835-1910) --American Author

Samuel Langhorne Clemens thought of his pen name, "Mark Twain," while working on a riverboat. This humorist's works include "Adventures of Tom Sawyer." Relationship: 7th Cousin 2 times removed --4 stars

5. James "Wild Bill" Hickock (1837-1876)--American Outlaw & a legendary gunfighter and law man in the American Wild West. Relationship: 8th Cousin 1 times removed --4 stars

6. Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888)--American Novelist. Her family was the inspiration for her best known novels, "Little Women" and "Little Men". Relationship: 7th Cousin 4 times removed --3 stars

7. Laura Welch Bush (1946-) --First Lady (wife of George W)--Relationship: 9th Cousin 1 times removed --3 stars

8. Walt Disney (1901-1966) --American Animator, creator of Mickey Mouse. Relationship: 9th Cousin 1 times removed --4 stars

9. John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)--35th President of the United States. His presidency saw the beginnings of racial integration the Space Race and the Cuban missile Crisis. He was assassinated while in Texas. Relationship: 10th Cousin --3 stars

10. His son--John F. Kennedy, Jr. (1960-1999)--Relationship: 10th Cousin 1 times removed --3 stars.

(There are 25 more, including outlaws, authors, actors, actresses, & Presidents)

Ruth's husband:

Name: Mayward Monroe Shifflett

Birth: 6 Mar 1908 - Rockingham, Virginia, USA

Death: 16 Nov 1977 - Rockingham, Virginia, USA

Parents: Cornelius M Shifflett, Bessie Belle Royer

Spouse: Ruth Cordell Gooden

Married: 26 JUN 1930 in Rockingham , VA

(4 of 6 children still living)

(I couldn't see the "leaf" hint icon anywhere on pages about her)

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I am assuming that Gooden is your g.mom's maiden name. If that is correct, then the following information obtained from ancestry.com census of 1920 should be accurate:

Ruth C.Gooden; McGeheysville, Rockingham, Virginia, age "about 6"; father: John Gooden,age 48, born in Va.; mother: Cota A. (this may be esta or esther because other census records from earlier and later state esther/esta) age 48, born in Virginia; brother Oscar W. age 18; brother Jacob R. age 15; Willie W. age 15. Father is listed as a farmer.

P.S. I don't know what the "hint" is, but it is probably nothing, as that is just their way of getting you to sign up. If you need more info let me know!

Source(s): ancestry.com 1920 Virginia Census
  • 1 decade ago

rootsweb.com is free and has the social security death index...that includes grandma with the name at the time of death as Shifflett. You may already know this.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shiflett/message/171...

this is some data on the Shifflett family in Rockingham, which may/ may not be your grandfather's side.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~varockin/online....

The Rockingham county genweb page seems to have a bunch of info that you can browse through as well. be sure to look to the bottom for some death certs, includes some Goodens that might be yours.

back to rootsweb's family files and input Ruth Gooden, and voila, more files... parents look to be John Gooden and Esta Ella Roach.

There are back doors if you get used to where they are.

edit

looks like John or Esta don't 'go back' further... since both were born before 1880, you also can look at the 1880 census for free at www.familysearch.org (click on searches, then click census).

To really get back, you eventually will want the census IMAGES (not just the transcribed), but people often do lookups here, if you smile sweet and don't expect it all in one shot.

• 1 decade ago

Ancestry.com is available at some libraries for free. Check with you local librarian.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.