DS asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 1 decade ago

Potholes, alignment: Car vs. SUV ?

In Chicago we have a lot of pot holes now. Driving over them so frequently can knock out your car's alignment, plus break front end suspension components. My question is: Are SUVs (especially ones designed for off road like Land Rovers, Land Cruisers, Jeeps, etc), with their beefier suspension components, less likely to get their steering alignment knocked out, and front end suspension components damaged, than regular passenger cars? My gut says at low speeds, they will handle road irregularities better, but once you start traveling at higher rates, like 25-35+, they're just as susceptible. This of course, is assuming everything's nice and tight to begin with...

Update:

I'm not looking to buy a new car, just wondering about car vs SUV suspension durability from a theoretical and technical stand point. Thanks

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

SUV's tend to be better than cars. They usually have more suspension travel and tires with a taller sidewall. Both help absorb bumps.

Truck based SUV's would be better than car based ones.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I've driven on your roads....i think it's insane that there's a ton of lowered cars with rims there with those road conditions....sorry, get off track.

i think the best thing to think about is coupled with beefy suspension and steering components...pick out a few vehicles that you're interested in and talk to the dealerships about how which ones tend to hold up better or not, or if there's anything special about that car that you're wanting to purchase might make your road conditions a huge factor for instance: some chryslers, if you're inner tie rods go bad, you can't just buy new inner tie rods, you have to buy the whole steering gear. you're service advisors at the dealerships are vehicle saavy and have to worry about the same things on their own vehicles....they are a good start for some information, and they are in your local area.

then talk to maybe some firestones or goodyears and see what things they run into....people are always ready to show off their knowledge

just look at some of the car guys on yahoo answers....and their extravagant answers

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The heavier SUV"s would be better but remember that many of the lighter and mid-sized ones are built on car suspensions to give the drivers a better and smoother ride so those would be just as easy to damage as a regular car...

Source(s): 316
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

sure

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.