Is Montessori preschool a good option for 3 year old little boys?

My son attends one, but his Directress thinks he may need to take the year off and try again when he is 4 yrs old. She is concerned that he is not ready for a school environment, because he cries and says he wants to see his Mommy. Has anyone else had experiences like this at Montessori, or other preschools?
Update: The Directress has some other concerns, such as his emotional maturity, his lack of attachment to the class and herself after almost 4 months of attending and there have been some big changes in his life recently. I feel that there are alternatives to removing him from the class, as long as she is willing to try... show more The Directress has some other concerns, such as his emotional maturity, his lack of attachment to the class and herself after almost 4 months of attending and there have been some big changes in his life recently. I feel that there are alternatives to removing him from the class, as long as she is willing to try and able to let go of the labels that she has put on him. I believe that he just needs to feel a little more attached to her, but it would require more effort on all of our parts.
I was curious to hear other opinions and experiences, in case there was something that I was missing.