How can I study/learn more about ancient Israel and other Biblical places, ancient culture, people, religion e?

I'm only 14, so I might not understand everything, but I have a craving to learn this stuff. Everyday I read my Bible, (I am currently reading the New Testament) I read about Jesus, Apostle Paul, etc. going to all these different places like Judea, Bethsaida, (spell?) Bethany, Corinth, Thesselonica, etc. and It's really hard to picture these place for me because I don't know these places, and I also don't know what these places are called in modern day. How can I learn more about these ancient places, the ancient culture, what the used to wear, the people, religion, etc.? ? ? ? ? ?

I'm just REALLY interested in this. So if you could please help me out, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you! God bless.

And I in fact DO fully believe with my whole heart and acknowledge that Jesus Christ did come on this earth as a humble, faithful servant, He did many miraculous signs, healed people, and loved us so much that He took up the cross and died a horrible, excruciatingly painful death for all of us. He took ALL the sins of us indeserving humans and He, being God, perfect and Holy in every way, died for me, and you, and has risen in three days, and now lives and reigns on His throne, and He will come back to earth again a second time. Not as a humble servant, but as a wrathful, vengeful God. So no, I do not believe this is fictional. My eyes weren't closed, but opened to the truth.

Favorite Answer

You can go to your local christian book store and they have maps with the timeline and travels of Paul and others.

*if you attend church, you should ask your youth leader to look into the studies offered from www.studentlifebiblestudy.com. It has maps and timelines, Wonderful bible study.

*Please don't listen to tylertxan...if you took a history book and compared it along side with the bible, it will reinforce your beliefs that the bible is true....anyone who has ever sought to disprove the bible has not been able to, they only find truth....then they pick apart another piece of the bible to disprove, only to find more proof....

Peace.

Most Universities will offer classes on Ancient Near Eastern History which will include the history of Ancient Israel. Personally, I suggest studying the Ancient Near East as a whole as opposed to just the history of Israel because it will discuss the history in more of a regional context which should weed out some of the religious biases.

The only problem I see for you is that History and Archaeology tends to slightly contradict what is presented in the Old Testament. An example of this is the Exodus story. All the evidence suggests that it never happened, however evidence does suggest the Egypt ruled Israel but then was pushed back. Often, with ancient litterature, the overall point and theme has some truth, but the specifics are wrong. So with Exodus, the theme that Israel went from being subjects of Egypt to fairly indapendent seem to hold up historically, however the story of Moses does not.

I am a faithfull Roman Catholic and I admit, inaccuracies in the Bible can be troubling to my spiritual life, however I find that critically looking at the Bible and pulling out the major themes from the religious traditions is a service not only to history, but also to God. My point is, if you want to study the History of Israel with scholarly sources while clinging to the idea that the Bible is 100% accurate, you will be majorly dissapointed...Sorry, but this is true. But, if you adopt the philosophy that the themes and big picture of the Bible are accurate while the specifics are simply thousands of years of oral tradition, I believe that you will be enlightened by your studies.

The Bible has tons of great historical information and any scholar of antiquity knows the Bible backwards and forwards, because it is so informative. But like any ancient source, rather its Herodotus, Plutarch, Cicero, or Homer, you need to understand the the Bible has biases and inaccuracies. If you CANNOT accept that, I suggest you focus your studies on Theology and not History.

• ?

There's this newfangled thing called the Interwebs. Try there. Here are some links to help. Don't waste a lot of time on Wikipedia. There are better, more accurate sources. Wiki is OK for a general overview, though.

(see sources)

And some books:

Durant, Will (1935). Our Oriental Heritage. New York: Simon and Schuster.

Durant, Will (1939). The Life of Greece. New York: Simon and Schuster.

Durant, Will (1944). Caesar and Christ. New York: Simon and Schuster.

Durant, Will (2001). Heroes of History: A Brief History of Civilization from Ancient Times to the Dawn of the Modern Age. New York: Simon and Schuster. Actually copyrighted by John Little and the Estate of Will Durant.

The books will be a little challenging, but will be worth it.

Going to the library is the best place to start. Get like, 4 different books on different subjects and study them. Take notes on what pops out, and make sure to wright down statistics, interesting facts and so on. Dont get just one book-you want to have as many sources as possible because having only one source just isn't good enough. The internet is also a choice-and pretty much the last choice. Make sure to be careful because sometimes people really do just wright down stuff that isn't true.

For me, I love to study and do research in my bedroom on my desk. It may sound weird, but I think if you find a good place that you are comfortable, you will enjoy doing more research and you will get a little more out of it. Btw, when I do research, and takes notes and so on, I always find someone to share my notes with. It helps you remember much, much better. I have heard that if you read something, then wright it, and tell it verbally, you will memorize it. I've tried it, and it's worked for me but I have to say my notes two or three times. Hope that has helped! :)

Yes. There is plenty of ancient Israel present today. If you go to Jerusalem, you will be in the city named after the Canaanite deity Shalem, [Jerusalem = Foundation of Shalem], if you study Ugaritic scriptures, you will meet El, the Canaanite deity adopted by immigrant Hebrews as Bal-el, his son Yahweh and Yahweh's wife, Ashereh. If you read the archaelogical history of the Bible you will learn that the exodus is a myth probably based on the return of some Canaanites from Egypt to their own lands where they may have formed a new kingdom called Israel. You will learn that the Hebrews were not Canaanites, but slaves of the Canaanite princes who may have ousted and killed the Canaan princes and adopted their Hebrew language. There is plenty of culture of ancient Israel, its all in Palestine.

• ?

Go to http://www.ucg.org/bsc/ or http://www.rbc.org/index.aspx

These two sites will help you get started. And enjoy the trip. Your destination will be out of this World.

GOD Bless YA,

Chicago Bob. (Imasinner)

Please pray for our Country and Our President (DAILY)

http://www.gnmagazine.org/issues/gn79/things-you-s...

FOR SOME GOOD READING! FIND OUT WHO, GOD IS!

DO YOU NEED A CAUSE?? CHECK THIS OUT http://www.healinghannah.com/

http://hannahauction.blogspot.com/ GET SET TO CRY!

There is more Joy in JESUS in 24 hours, Than there is in the World in 365 Days. I have tried them both.(ME TO)

R.A. Torrey.

Source(s): DAS! BIBLE!

Same here! First, read the Bible from Genesis to Revelations. Then, use Wikipedia to study and research what some places. Then, get an education in History.

http://thewaythetruth.tk/

Bless you in your search/study

You should ask the Holy Spirit to teach you

http://generationword.com/links/maps.htm

some Bibles have he information you are seeking in the back of the Bible regarding names and cultures etc:

It depends on whether you really are interested in truth and factuality--or whether you are interested in claims supporting dogma. Not saying that to be mean--but there is a great deal of truth there. There are a whole variety of web sites if you want to stay within the nonsubstanitated that will buttress your beliefs. If you are interested in truth--there are a number of historical and archeoligcal texts that are there as well. Understand however that if you search for historical truths---you may well shake your religious beliefs.

go to the library. check books out about the area and history of the area. Actually read the books. There will be books for about any level. If you have problems finding them ask your friendly librarian.