do you think we can blow up the moon?

with the weapons technology we have nowadays..do you think any country has the power to blow something up as big as the moon?

Update:

at what scale do you think our best nuclear warhead can blow up then if not...maybe like the whole australia?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's hard to calculate exactly how much energy it would take to blow up the Moon, but we can get a pretty reasonable lower limit and work from there.

In order to completely destroy the Moon, you can't just fragment it; each one of those fragments has to be given enough velocity that it "escapes" the mutual gravitational attraction of the other fragments. That's called "escape velocity" (for obvious reasons, I hope!). If the exploding fragments have anything less than the critical escape velocity*, they will simply coalesce into a pile of rubble. True, the NEW Moon will be completely unrecognizeable, but "destroyed"? Not technically.

You can do some fancy calculations to find out how much energy it would take to blow up the Moon, but there's already a website that will do it for you:

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Beam/Calc...

This website calculates the energy expended by the Death Star when it destroys an Earth-sized planet, but you can change the values to those of the Moon instead. If you input the diameter (3474 km) and relative surface gravity (0.166) of the Moon, it tells you that, on the lower end, it would take 1.249x10^29 J to completely and permanently disrupt the Moon. In nuclear weapon terminology, that's almost 30 TRILLION Megatons of TNT**. That's so far beyond the scope of the world's nuclear arsenal that it's not even worth discussing. Needless to say, a Death-Star-type weapon is completely in the realm of fantasy.

Although the energy released by nuclear weapons is fearsome and terrible, it pales next to the amount of energy needed to disrupt a large moon. You could potentially destroy teensy little moons like Phobos or Deimos (orbiting Mars), but even that would require an enormous nuclear yield. And even if you COULD do so...why would you?

I hope that helps. Good luck!

*Actually, you have to account for the gravitational influences of nearby bodies. For example, Moon fragments facing the Earth don't have to achieve escape velocity - they simply have to travel fast enough to reach the region of space where the Earth's gravity dominates. But then, you'd be dooming people on Earth. Imagine the chaos when city-sized chunks of Moon rock come raining down!

**And remember, that's a LOW estimate. If the Moon's density isn't uniform, you'd need MORE explosive power to destroy it!

• peadon
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Blowing Up The Moon

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

they don't seem to be blowing it up. From what i've got study, watched and heard, they're crashing a spacecraft into its floor so as that a 6 mile plume of lunar airborne dirt and mud expands into the moon's environment. it is all to do with testing for water or something. have faith me, I doubt even NASA is stupid adequate to explode the moon. yet while something does pass incorrect... hi tidal waves.

• 1 decade ago

Actually, it's not the size of the bang, it's how you use it. If you pile up a whole bunch of explosives on the surface of the moon, it's probably just gonna knock it out of orbit. However, if you were to drill down into the center, and make a well calculated detonation, it might actually be possible. As for your other question, there does not exist one single warhead that can destroy a place as big as Australia.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Not even close our best weapons can level a city and perhaps a mountain, but, the moon is a quarter the size of Earth there isn't any known weapon that can destroy it save a comet or asteroid.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That is not something that i would like to happen but if anyone can it is the U.S.A, or North Korea. Nuclear bombs. Just put about 80 of em

• 1 decade ago

Not one chance.

Go back to dreaming, if Pres Bush had access to that sort of fire power, do you think he would be handing over the reins.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i was going to say yes, with enough nukes, but I change my mind. At our current technology, we just don't have the ability to break apart something so big in one big explosion

• 1 decade ago

That depends... is the Deathstar back in operation?

Source(s): Episode IV: A New Hope
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Nope, not even close.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.