What is your opinion about Juveniles in detention?

Ok if a majority of juveniles are going to turn out to be career criminals why give them an education while they are in jail? If anything we need to educate them on what it is like serving time in a county jail. Dont you think? Only few juveniles turn out to be good. Maybe if they see what adults go through in a county jail maybe they would think twice. I mean who thought of the idea that hmmmmmmmmmm we should give juveniles an education while they are in jail. Adults do not get to go to college or high school while in a county jail. So why should juveniles get better treatment? What did parents that have juveniles in jail get mad and demand an education in jails. Adults eat sleep and well you know in county jails. They have no programs or activities like juvenile facilities do. Also if the movie gridiron gang was a true story. Why didnt it impact juvenile centers around the world? I will tell you why money. Stuff like that cost money. Juvenile centers should have be just like county jails. Where I work we have to babysit. I enjoy my job yes I disagree with the way they run juvenile centers. From playing basketball to going to school just to watch a movie that has nothing to do with education. When they do get an education they get educated on stuff like how to vote. If juveniles are going to turn out to be career criminals and be in jail for the rest of their lives why should they get educated on stuff like that? Please state your opinion.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

juveniles need the education for a better future. adults jail do have education classes maybe not county some county jail dont(some do) mostly all prison facility have several oppurtunities in learning GED classes,warehouse jobs,horticulture,yoga, how to handle the real world, finances, etc. i agree that they should juvenile detentions should have classes on life skills and to stay out of jail and counseling, i had no idea what juvi's do in jail.but im surely going to ask. yes they need rehalbilation not a vacation! good point. if they dont do it the right way,maybe thats just a way to keep these kids coming back THAT, or they just might be out of a JOB.VERY SAD! dosent anyone care for these children ?i wish i was in control. hey write a letter to OBAMA maybe he can help......meanwhile i will, and i will get to the bottom of what they do with these kids in the system. thanks you just gave me something to do!

• 1 decade ago

First of all, the juvenile justice system is based on the sole principle of rehabilitation, whereas the adult system is based on punishment. The juvenile system tries to rehabilitate the juvenile so that he/she can become a productive member of society when it is time to be let go.

Just because you may think that only a few juveniles may turn out to be good when released, you can't just stop trying to help and give up hope on every other juvenile that gets in the system. You hurt both the juvenile and society when you do that. It's like the saying; "I'd rather let all murders go free than to convict one innocent man". Well in this case, rehabilitating one juvenile out a thousand is worth it. You can't put a price on being able to stop a juvenile from committing future crimes. Who knows, that one juvenile that was rehabilitated might have killed someone later on in his life if the juvenile justice system did not try to rehabilitate him while under their supervision.

As far as having the juveniles go to an adult jail, they can but it is the last option and must follow strict guidelines while the juvenile is in the adult jail. For an example, if the juvenile center is packed and they need the kid to stay at the adult jail for a day or two. According to the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act of 1974 (JJDPA), juveniles must follow the "sight and sound" rule when in an adult jail. The "sight and sound" rule says that juveniles must be seperated from adults so that they cannot see or hear them. There are many reasons for this rule. One is for the safety of the juveniles. They don't want them to be harmed by the adults. The other major reason is so the juveniles do not socialize with adults and learn how to become a better criminal. You don't want a kid going in jail for a petty theft and getting out of jail with the newly acquired knowledge of drug trafficting, raping, murdering, etc...

• 1 decade ago

Actually the adult criminal justice system does offer extensive opportunities for education.

Most child offenders come from broken homes and are not lost causes. The problem is, they do not have stable environments to return to once released. They are often sent back into the situation from which they came, which is usually abusive or neglectful, and succumb (or forced) to the pressures of very powerful gangs, or become addicted to drugs at young ages. Some of these children have never had a stable home in their life, being moved from foster home to foster home, and many of them have been abused physically and/or sexually by multiple people who were supposed to protect them.

If these children were instead placed in a stable, safe environment with good parental influences, chances are they would grow up to become productive members of society.

The education these kids received while in the system does make an impact. At the very least it presents these kids with other options in life, and occasionally, the very strong ones or the very lucky ones are able to turn their life around because of it. I had a family member who successfully beat the statistics due to one such educational program.

Believe or not, the country with the most succesful juvenile justice system, which has the lowest rate of repeat offenders, is Turkey.

In Turkey the children are not locked in all day. They leave the facility during the day to attend school or work, and return at night. While crime among juveniles in Turkey is more of an economic issue than a social issue, I believe such a system would have great success in the U.S. as it literally pulls the children from the negative environmental influences without isolating them from the real world, all the while showing them what they can do to better their lives.

Your idea of just giving up on them will do nothing positive.

Source(s): I've known many of these kids.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

could it be the juvenile justice system is not set up to deter criminal careers? i know juvenile detentions are no different then jails and juvenile prisons are no different then adult prisons.

i disagree that most kids will become career criminals but in juvenile jail that is where the mindset of many come in that they will be in and out their whole lives.

Have u heard kids say "i can do one year standing on my head" or they get their jail attitude going to protect them they are preparing for a lifetime of jail and prison and it does not have to be that way

they need an education and they need exercise a healthy mind and body reduces the chance of recidivismm, if u see a kid in detention school who gives a right answer to a teacher and gets praise his face lights up, at that time he knows he is worthy to be a productive member of society, the idea is to make that feeling happen as often as possible rather then saying they are worth nothing more then filling a bed.

the juvinile system is loaded with abusive people who love to see children suffer and the few who want to help them succeed are blocked by people with the like minset of them failing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Juveniles are protected and vulnerable populations. Some kids get raw deals and make poor choices b/c it's all they know. Why should they not be allowed an education. With an education, better choices can be made and hopefully the juveniles will not become "career criminals". People can change, especially children.

• 1 decade ago

I think it depends on the crime. If a juvenile has committed petty crime and there is hopes that they can move on from it, education is vital to nourish their minds and divert their interests away from crime towards something positive meaning they can make something of their lives and contribute back to society,

However, I completely disagree with kids who have committed violent crimes being treated to one-to-one tutoring and being kept in glorified boarding schools (aka juvenile facilities) that have a better standard of teaching compared to many overcrowded state schools that law-abiding decent kids have to go to. Violent young criminals should be kept in boot camp facilities where they are made to work hard doing chores and drilled hard in Victorian-esque classrooms rather than enjoy cushy lives of video games, constant visits from Mummy and Daddy and soft schooling.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Some of them do become criminals again. But i know a few of my friends got a second chance in juvy by getting an education and getting released to show that they are capable of not doing any more offenses. I have seen lots of teens from juvy moving forward with there life from that second chance.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well depends if they aren't going to be in jail for the rest of their lives

why not educate them?

Even though they have committed crime and might not be getting back to their real lives the still deserve an education.

Its just a human right

at least when they leave, they'll leave smarter than they were

and if they're not leaving at least they'll really know why.

• 1 decade ago

it is true. juvenile centers are slacking on enforcing any kind of punishment for theyre acts. but realize just because they did poor decisions to get their doesnt mean they where failures when it comes to education. ive seen alot kids who maintain good grades and also participate in alot of things that would put them in a center.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They would be breaking the lae if they didn't educate the children seeing as how it states that everyone has the right to an education.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.