Where is the DLC port on a 1996 Jetta GL?

My boyfriend recently bought a 1996 Jetta and after a week it stopped running. His mom got him the Car MD for Christmas so all you have to do is plug it into your cars DLC port and it tells you whats wrong with the car. Hes practically gutted the whole center console area looking for it because thats where websites have said it would be and he still cant find it. Does anyone know for sure where the DLC port is on a 1996 Jetta?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

in the center console under the ash tray or in the rear of the center Console towards the back seat there will be a little cover of a engine with a Lightning bolt going through it or it is under the dash board about 12 inches from steering column the dlc connector will have 12 pins and it will be black or pink im pretty sure it is pink on this vehicle there are many problem the se cars have and that Scanner is not the best piece of equipment to be using on a vw

Source(s): mechanic( using wifes avatar)
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I had a '98 Jetta GLS and the port was behind a little plastic panel right beside the ashtray underneath the AC controls. You have to grab the panel from the bottom and just give it a good tug. Not sure if it's the same on the '96 Jetta though. I know they're the same body style but the port may be in a different location.

• 1 decade ago

1996 it should be under the dash to the left of the steering column

• 4 years ago

Your automobile is greater advantageous than 10 years. shop you cash for a clean one.At that age that's destroy-down time new brakes,tires,battery,starter,and something you restoration as we communicate.day after today some thing else is going.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

generally they are under the dash board just inside the drivers door

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.