Can my car be towed for expired tags in Ohio?

I live in Ohio. The tags of the car I am driving (my dad's) expire the 28th. (I think this is right -- it's his birthday. They expire on the birthday, right? Or is it the end of the birthday month?)

My dad can't get the tags to me for a couple days so I parked in the garage for the night, but I have to work tomorrow. Is it possible that the car will be impounded for expired tags? I can't find the Ohio laws (it is surprisingly hard to find reliable answers for this stuff). Does anyone know at which website I could find this information? I've looked at the BMV site but had no luck.

Any info would help. Thanks!

I have read that sometimes cars are towed for expired tags, but I am under the understanding that this is only if they have been expired for a certain period of time, but I cannot find out for sure. I just want to be sure that I won't be towed!

Favorite Answer

I live in Ohio and agree it's hard to find the info. Anyway, the tags expire on the birth day not the birth month. (Even though the sticker only reads 12-08 in the big numbers, your registration number which is tied to the birth date is in small numbers on the sticker!)

You're smart to park it in the garage until you get the new tags. And I'd park with the rear plate as hidden as possible at work if it's not illegal to back in to the parking spots - that depends upon where you live in Ohio as well as private parking lot "rules".

Chances are the police won't run your plates until after Jan. 1 unless you bring attention to yourself for some other reason while driving. A friend of mine (in her 70s) thought she had until the end of the month, but the police stopped her for a driving violation (going straight from a right turn only lane). That officer just gave her a ticket for the expired registration, but told her he could have had the car towed.

I hope you don't need to have the vehicle E-checked. If you do, then get that done on Monday the 29th and send it right off to your dad. He'll need the E-Check certification to get the new sticker.

Bottom line: I don't think you'll get towed, but I wouldn't drive any extra miles and tempt fate!

Remind your father to check his driver's license. That expires every 4 years on his birthday! I'm guessing you have the car insurance taken care of as well as your own driver's license!

they;re not gonna impound your car for expired tags. if you get pulled over, be like sorry officer im on my way to/from work, i srsly didnt know that they were expired. and tags dont have anything to do with your birthday, they expire after a certain number of years... ur dad prolly just got everything exactly on his birthday, so that when his birthday comes, he remembers to get renew the tag stickers.

Source(s): trust me, they dont even impound your car if it doesnt have an inspection sticker.
  • Erika

you be conscious of that's going to start problems with your renter in case you do no longer desire them to go out,you could call quite lots any towing corporation and characteristic a automobile towed if that is on inner maximum property. ultimate guess is to depart this burden on your "buddy" to safeguard his household projects.

• queen

Funny, I was wondering the same thing myself

yes they do impound, it happened to my daughter.