Proctoring a practice test?

My friend asked me to help her prepare for the SAT by proctoring a practice test for her. What kind of things would I need to do as a proctor? I want to make it as realistic as possible so it's as if she's actually taking the real thing. Thanks! 10 points to the most detailed answer :-)

Favorite Answer

As a former proctor for AP exams, I can tell you that proctors don't do much except keep accurate time and make sure the kids don't cheat. I would also wander around the room periodically to make sure that they were working on the correct portion of the exam and that on essays, the kids put the question number at the top of the page. Basically, you sit quietly, read a book quietly and keep an eagle eye on 'em for three or four hours. You update the time left on the blackboard -- i.e., "Time Remaining: 45 minutes", and then scare the heck out of 'em when you call "Time!"

If you want it to be as close to the real thing as possible, take my advice. Either go to an open room with a desk and crank down the thermostat to like 60 degrees or go to the public library (which I would not recommend since it is noisy sometimes). Make sure you have a clock visible for your friend and bring something to do for those 3 and a half hours. Besides an ice chest of an environment and a clear work place, you can't get any closer to the real life situation.

Hope this helps.

Anybody who proctors an AP exam knows that proctors are not supposed to be reading a book during the exams and are held responsible for a number of organizational procedures and accountability issues. Otherwise, tests are invalidated and students have to retake the exam, whether they are at fault or not.