Why don't they let homosexual people into the army?

idk and im curious they don't hurt anybody

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Gay people are allowed in as long as they don't disclose their sexual orrientation to anyone while they're serving it's called the don't ask don't tell policy it also means army superiors aren't allowed to look into people's past to find out if they are gay or not

although it sounds a bit stupid it is an improvement from what was the law about homosexuality in the army before don't ask.. was introduced.

Although Obama is apparently going to revoke the policy and let gay men and women serve openly in the military

it was created so that "would create an unacceptable risk to the high standards of morale, good order and discipline, and unit cohesion that are the essence of military capability." basically meaning other straight members of the army unit would be uncomfortable working with gay people and would be a distraction and a morale (motivation) decreaser therefore weekening the strength of the military. although i guess much of that is irrelevant now

Personally i don't understand why anyone would want to risk they're lives for their country when the won't even let them serve openly and freely

thankfully i dont live in americas and we can serve openly here (although i wouldn't join the army anyway lol)

• 1 decade ago

The reasoning behind it is that they believe gays in the military will make certain straight members uncomfortable. Which will effect cohesion. Which will then negatively impact the army.

It's a bunch of bull crap.

I think John Stewart made a valid point:

"Why can't they have gay people in the army? Personally, I think they are just afraid of a thousand guys with M16s going, 'Who'd you call a f a g g o t!?' "

• Andme
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

In the U.K. army, navy or air force you can be openly gay.

In the U.S.Military, Bill Clinton introduced the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. So homosexuals can be in the army in the U.S.A. as long as they don't tell

• 1 decade ago

You can still join. It's called Don't ask, Don't tell. You can be gay in the military, but you can't tell anyone, or else you'll get discharged.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because gays would be scared to go onto the front line, i haven't got anything against them, but where do you think the word puff etc. comes from

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think some of the guns and weapons are too heavy for gay men's limp wrists.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.