Setting up SONY VAIO wireless connection?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I have a Sony VAIO PCG-FRV25 laptop. The online specs say it has wireless capability, which I presume means it's set to connect to the internet, for the most part, right? I have ...show more
Update : My laptop is picking up the wireless signal fine, which I presume means ...show more
Update 2: Still no luck. Getting the same message: Please add client device PIN ...show more
Best Answer
  • Jag answered 5 years ago
Wireless does not mean Internet.

Wireless means you can connect to a wireless network. If the wireless network you connect to has Internet access, you're set.

First question is:
Is your Dad's Belkin router wireless? If not then, you'll need a wireless router.

If you Dad's Belkin router is wireless:
Log in to the router and check to see what the SSID is for the router. Also check to see if MAC filtering is enabled. Also check to see if WEP, WPA or WPA2 are enabled. You'll need the password of the WEP, WPA, or WPA2 for entry into your system, so write it down. If MAC filtering is off on the wireless router:
1) Go to your laptop.
2) Run the search wireless network.
3) Pick the SSID of your Father's Belkin router. Click on connect.
4) You will be prompted for a password.
5) Enter the password for the WEP, WPA, or WPA2.

You should get connected to the wireless router and should be able to access the Internet now.

If MAC filtering is enabled on the wireless router, you will need to find the MAC address for the laptop and then write it down. Then log back into the wireless router and add the MAC address of your laptop into the allow table on the router.

To find the MAC address on the laptop, open a command prompt and type in ipconfig /all <enter>
The physical address is the MAC address.

If your Father's Belkin router is not wireless, you'll need a wireless router.

I use a D-Link DiR-655 wireless router. Linksys makes some nice wireless routers too. Get the n type. It costs a bit more but the extended range and higher speeds are worth it.

I avoid Belkin since they were acquired by GE and GE supports countries that kill American troops.
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (1)

• Cosimo Barrow answered 5 years ago
    you dont have to purchase a router ,with that belkin wireless adapter you should be able to conect to the router your dad has but is the computer detecting the belkin usb wireless adapter at all? she in device manager check to see if theres a compatibility issue betwen the adapter and your OS. go to belkin's website and download the latest driver for your adapter for the OS you are currently using and if that doesnt work try installing the driver manually through device manager
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock