got a email claiming i won a million dollars?

it's from the "UK National Lottery"

they're telling me to go to england to get the money

i emailed them back to see what they would say.

i asked them is this for real.

they emailed back saying yes

they also sent me a certificate saying i won a million dollars?

scam?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a SCAM, you need to report the e-mail's with full Internet Headers to:

*The Sender's ISP (Internet Service Provider)

*The Internet Fraud Complaint Center: ifcc.tp@fbi.gov

*FraudAid Scam Reporting E-Mail: scamreports@fraudaid.com

*Castle Cops: depositscams@coldrain.net

*Write to the Federal Trade Commission: spam@uce.gov

* If you've given them personal information: 1-877-438-4338

What should I do if I think my identity has been stolen or compromised?

If you think your identity may have been stolen, here's what to do now. Keep a log of all conversations including date, name, phone number, and the information provided:

1. DO NOT COMMUNICATE WITH THE SCAMMERS!

They are dangerous criminals.You can be physically injured and even killed by fraud criminals. Do not travel to meet them or "claim your winnings". Some people who traveled to Nigeria and South Africa been beaten, kidnapped, or murdered.

2. Contact your bank -

If you think you’re a victim of identity theft or account fraud, you should call your bank, tell them what happened and ask them to monitor for unusual activity and advice whether you should close the account and open a new checking or savings account.

3. Contact the fraud departments of each of the three major credit bureaus (outside of the US may have different agencies) to place a fraud alert on your credit file. The fraud alert requests creditors to contact you before opening any new accounts or making any changes to your existing accounts.

Also provide a copy of your driver's license to each agency's fraud unit in order to register an affidavit.

Contact them in writing, via certified receipt request at the post office.

Call their phone number:

* Equifax - 1-800-525-6285

* Experian - 1-888-397-3742

* Transunion - 1-800-680-7289

4. File a police report.

Get a copy of the report to submit to your creditors and others that may require proof of the crime. Keep a log of all conversations including date, name, phone number, and the information provided.

5. Obtain new identity documents -

If you sent your passport number or faxed a copy of it to the scammers, or done the same with your driver's license or other government documents, obtain a new document - be sure to explain what happened, so they cancel your old one and give you a new number. Call the Social Security Administration and all creditors with whom you have accounts to let them know you have been the victim of identity theft.

6. If you have seen unauthorized charges:

Close the accounts that you know or believe have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.

7. File your complaint with the FTC.

Call the FTC’s identity theft hotline toll-free at 1-877-438-4338. The hotline is staffed by counselors trained to help victims and take their complaints. The FTC maintains a database of identity theft cases used by law enforcement agencies for investigations. Filing a complaint also helps us learn more about identity theft and the problems victims are having so that we can better assist you.

8. File a Financial Loss complaint form online with the Internet Crime Complaint Center,

which is a partnership between the National White Collar Crime Center and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

9. Complete the FTC identity theft affidavit,

which will assist you in reporting to many companies that a new account has been open in your name. Use the ID Theft Affidavit when disputing new unauthorized accounts.

10. Contact your state attorney general! to alert them to the scam or fraud activity.

11. For more in-depth information on recovering from identity theft and help with specific problems, read ID Theft: When Bad Things Happen to Your Good Name.

12. Stay current with new scams as the emerge, so you don't have this happen again

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Source(s): Good Writing Job http://givitry.info/WritingJobsOnline
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

A very common scam, usually comes from Nigeria or at least originates from there. Their intention is to send you a fake check and have you send them a portion of that back to them or someone else. They are hoping you will send them the money before the check you cash bounces. If you look at the check very closely, you will find misspellings. Google the address, city and state. It maybe real but the company at that address will be wrong. Something on the check will make it bounce once it gets back to the bank it was drawn on. Your bank will tell that there are two stages of a check clearing. The initial clear is required by law so you can use the money in something like 24 hours. The real clear takes longer, for domestic checks, about 2 or 3 weeks. One bank calls that 2nd clear "funds collected". If the check ever gets to that longer 2nd clear, the money is yours. If you do put that check into your bank, it is most important that you warn them that the check may be bad and you don't want to touch a cent of it until its really cleared. Read somewhere that international lotteries are illegal, especially if you never bought a ticket. If you google for this kind of scam, you find endless reading.

• 1 decade ago

When you claim it, can I have part of the million dollars?

Of course it's a scam! Think here for a second, did you even play a lottery in the UK? How do you win something if you never played it?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

What did YOU do to win a million dollars. Did you purchase a lottery ticket? Tell them thank you very much and give them an address to send the money. OF COURSE IT'S A SCAM!!!

• 1 decade ago

Did you enter the UK lottery? Probably not, therefore it is a SCAM. I have almost 5000 spam in my spam folder, I don't even look at them anymore. I get crap from Nigeria, UK, Ireland, japan, france. They automatically just go to spam.. Just remember "if it is to good to be true, it probably is" There is no one out there that wants to give you money, they just want to take yours.

• 1 decade ago

Of course it is a scam; you should never have opened it; let's hope you did not let a worm in.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I got that email too! Wow they are handing out a lot of money.

• 1 decade ago

i`m in same boat,but looks like fraud.

Source(s): web
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.