Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

I dont get it, how do you catch a cold or get sick if you don't wear socks?

I hate wearing socks and my mother always yells and tell me i'm going to get sick...

As far as i'm concerned, i've only learned you can REALLY get sick by bacteria brought INTO your body?

I asked her many times lol she says my ovaries will freeze XD

italian mothers...

Favorite Answer

lol..well its mostly to attempt to keep body heat in. as in when ppl say to wear a hat, as heat escapes thru head...lol..

though i wear socks ALL the time for the most part and stil get sick so it dont really matter..lol..its not the socks that keep you from getting sick. tho keeping warmer does help...it is of course the bacteria an such that is around you...on things you touch and so on..and if you dont wash your hands...being out in public ewwwwww think about it..lol..everything you touched tht others touched, not knowing what they touched last ( dont think i wana know what they touched last) makes me nuts soemtimes..lol..

but its not the socks or hats tht keep us from being ill. it keeps us warmer yes...but it is everythign else that we can do to prevent it...like washing hands when touching stuff, or watching when around others who are ill. etc. even in our own homes an such...clean your phones/cell phones with wipes or sanitzer lest once a week if not more...keyboards/mouse/ door knobs...light switches..Everything that every one touches...

(an btw..im italian too..lol)

~et~

• Dale

We should always listen to our mothers, as the saying goes. But sometimes they don't know what they are talking about. But I realized when I got older that my mother knew more than I thought she did, But in your case, your not going to freeze your ovaries but you might freeze or get frost bite of the toes, which is something you don't want to happen! For years people thought that you could catch colds from being cold, but a cold is caused by a virus which can be carried on phones, door knobs, etc. So you can catch a cold in a warm environment which will support the virus, while a cold environment it will die. So what I am saying is, don't pay much attention to her, but

do wear socks for comfort and make her happy/ after all she's your mother and she loves you and worries about you. What more could you ask for.

Actually, you were taught wrong on at least one account. You don't catch "colds" from bacteria– they are viral.

*******EDIT*********

Incidentally, I HATE being hot and don't mind the cold whatsoever. I live in southern PA and I don't even own a coat. I shovel snow out of my driveway with nothing but a long sleeve shirt and I've been known to take the trash out in the snow in bare feet. I don't get any more colds than anyone else I know. The only time I tend to get them is if I don't get enough sleep.

With that said, you should STILL listen to your mother.

The info is which you head, ft, hands, axillary ( armpits ), and genital section's are the place your physique shall we out the main warmth. via preserving those section's heat you save your physique temperature larger. while you're chillier then the blood strikes slower through your veins and for this reason takes greater time to do away with any volatile ingredients out of your physique.

You don't. Maybe it's because wearing no socks makes you lose body heat slightly more quickly? Just a guess.

Or you could ask your mother.

You cant. Being cold actually forces your immune system to work. People who are constantly exposed to more weather and temperature extremes get sick a lot less than other people.

its true, research it.

well youu loosee yourr bodyy heatt but i just copyed thatt fromm thee other girl but yourr feeet mustt stinkk

Source(s): a girl of sockss

you lose body heat which can make you more suseptible to getting sick.

UPDATE: HAHAHAHAHA I love your mom, thats hilarious!!!