is jesus god or the son of God?

I have been a catholic for 37 years and all religions talk as if Jeasus is god. Now if Jeasus ascended to heaven and was seated at the right hand of the father and he is god how the hell can he sit next to himself. How can you be a son and your own father. I do believe in the holy trinity but come on they have to be two separate people.

Favorite Answer

John 1:1 - "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

John 1:14 - "And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth."

John 5:18 - "For this cause therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God."

John 8:24 - "I said therefore to you, that you shall die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you shall die in your sins."

Note: In the Greek, "He" is not there.

John 8:58 - "Jesus said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.'"

Exodus 3:14 - "And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM'; and He said, Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’"

John 10:30-33 - "I and the Father are one." 31The Jews took up stones again to stone Him. 32Jesus answered them, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?" 33The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God."

John 20:28 - "Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"

Col. 2:9 - "For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form."

Phil. 2:5-8 - "Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9Therefore also God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those who are in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth, 11and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

Heb. 1:8 - "But of the Son He says, "Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever, and the righteous scepter is the scepter of His kingdom."

Quoted from Psalm 45:6, "Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever; a scepter of uprightness is the scepter of Thy kingdom."

Jesus is worshipped - Jesus said to worship God only, yet He receives worship.

Matt. 4:10 - "Then Jesus *said to him, 'Begone, Satan! For it is written, "You shall worship the Lord your God, and serve Him only."’"

Matt. 2:2 - "Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we saw His star in the east, and have come to worship Him."

Matt. 2:11 - "And they came into the house and saw the Child with Mary His mother; and they fell down and worshiped Him; and opening their treasures they presented to Him gifts of gold and frankincense and myrrh."

Matt. 14:33 - "And those who were in the boat worshiped Him, saying, "You are certainly God’s Son!"

Matt. 28:9 - "And behold, Jesus met them and greeted them. And they came up and took hold of His feet and worshiped Him."

John 9:35-38 - "Jesus heard that they had put him out; and finding him, He said, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?" 36He answered and said, "And who is He, Lord, that I may believe in Him?" 37Jesus said to him, "You have both seen Him, and He is the one who is talking with you." 38 And he said, "Lord, I believe." And he worshiped Him."

Heb. 1:6 - "And when He again brings the first-born into the world, He says, 'And let all the angels of God worship Him.'"

Jesus is prayed to

Acts 7:55-60 - "But being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God; 56 and he said, "Behold, I see the heavens opened up and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God." 57But they cried out with a loud voice, and covered their ears, and they rushed upon him with one impulse. 58And when they had driven him out of the city, they began stoning him, and the witnesses laid aside their robes at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59And they went on stoning Stephen as he called upon the Lord and said, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!" 60And falling on his knees, he cried out with a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them!" And having said this, he fell asleep."

1 Cor. 1:1-2 - "Paul, called as an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother, 2to the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours." (The phrase, "to call upon the name of the Lord" is a phrase used to designate prayer.)

1 Kings 18:24 - "Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the Lord, and the God who answers by fire, He is God." And all the peopl

It is very refreshing to see someone step back and take a look at something and reason on it.

Your thinking is correct. Jesus IS NOT God, but is truly the Son of God.

They are two separate "persons".

I'm not sure about your statement the you "do believe in the holy trinity", because the trinity IS the belief that the two are the same or parts of the same along with the holy spirit being the same or part of the same.

If you are just stating that you believe in the Father, Son and holy spirit, that is not belief in the trinity.

They all three exist separately.

As expressed in a creed recited by Catholics, the trinity says that the three are "co-equal, co-eternal". That is NOT what the Bible teaches.

Please check out the website www.watchtower.org for many other interesting Bible topics.

Source(s): One of Jehovah's Witnesses

Jesus is the son of God .

First bor of all creations RE 3:14 & Col 1:15-17

Made a man Ga 4:4 , Heb 2:9

Born of Gods spirit Matt 3:16-17

Exalted higher than pre Human existence Pp2:9&10

God not 3 DE 6:4 , Mal 2:10,Mark 10:18, Rom 3:29&30

Son Created Isa 44:6

God is the ruler Php 2:5&6 ,Dan 4:35

God above all Php 2:10&11

Son obedient John 8:42 ,12:49

Father Greater John 14:28 ,5:19 ,Heb 5:8

Jesus still subject to God Php 2:9 , 1 Co 15:28 , Mt 20:23

God the head of Christ , 1Co 11:3 , John 20:17 ,Re1:6

Shall i go on ?

If God sits at the right hand side of God where does the Holy Spirit sit ? Next to himself also ?

Son of God.

When Gabriel came to Mary to tell her she was to have a son,

he went on to explain, "This child will be great,

and he will be called Son of the Most High God.

Jehovah will make him king, as David was.

But Jesus will be a king forever,

and his kingdom will never end."

Mary asked how this could be,

because she doesn't even have a husband.

Gabriel answers: "God's power will come upon you,

So, the child will be called God's Son." ~

Luke 1:26-56; Matt1:18-25

At Jesus' Baptism, after he came up from the water,

a voice from heaven says:

"This is my Son, with whom I am pleased." ~ Matt 3:13-17, 4:1-11, 13:55; Mark 6:3; John 1:29-51, 2:1-12.

John the Baptist said: "And I have seen it,

and I have borne witness that this one is the Son of God. ~ John1:34

You are Correct!

They are two separate people.

In the book of John alone, 176 times

Jesus uses words / phrases that definitely distinguish

the two of them, as two separate individuals.

i.e. "He who sent me";

"stop making the house of my Father a house of merchandise."

"God sent His Son forth"

"My food is for me to do the will of Him that sent me."

"My Father has kept working until now, and I keep working."

"Father sent me forth, I live because of the Father."

Peter called him the "Holy One of God."

"I have not come of my own initiative, but He that sent me."

I know Him because I am a representative from Him

and that One sent me forth."

At 5:44, Jesus says, ".....the only God?"

Read John 5:18-38.

Addemdum:

Since someone gave Scripture a T's-d...I'm gonna add this:

{I found this here, one day. Saved it}

Christ according to the faith is the second person of the trinity.

The Father being the first and the holy spirit being the third.

Each of these three persons is God.

Christ is his own Father and his own Son.

The holy spirit is neither the Father or the Son, but both.

The Son was begotten before the Father,

but existed before he was begotten ~~~~~

just the same before as after.

Christ is just as old as the Father and

the Father is just as young as His Son.

The holy spirit proceded from the Father and Son,

but was equal to the Father and Son before he proceeded;

that is to say, before he existed,

but, he is the same age as the other two.

Nothing Ever Was

Nothing Ever Can Be

More Idiotic and Absurd than the dogma of the trinity.

Col Robert G. Ingersoll

God is not the Author of confusion.

~~~ 1 Cor 14:33 ~~~

God is a God not of disorder,

but of peace.

Jehovah is not a mysterious unknown God.

The mystery is Babylon the Great harlot,

says so in the book "Revelation."

{In the addemdum,

my words are from the Scripture, down.}

Source(s): Christian, I am.
  • ?

you unquestionably persist with an excellent practice of concept! greater precisely, i think guy, people have created gods of their very own photograph. to describe the unexplainable. This has been geared up upon, it has created an industry of religions. God isn't human, nor a being. No being ought to create the universe. photograph voltaic structures, galaxies, and so on. yet to answer the question, the place did this all initiate, guy has created a god.

You are asking a question that's been asked for hundreds of years & even you can see the discrepancy of believing they are the same individual. You are correct they are in unity as believing in the same thing but they are 2 different INDIVIDUALS.

1)Jesus did not pray to himself, he prayed to his father.

2)When Jesus was baptized he did not

say to himself (Matt 3:17) "This is my Son the beloved whom I have approved" it was his Father God who is in the heavens. (Matt 7:21).

3)In Revelation 1:1 A revelation by Jesus Christ, which GOD GAVE HIM,

These 3 evidences alone doesn't= a trinity but it = just as you stated 2 separate individuals believing in the same ways, things, and line of thought its called Unity something that he desires for us all.(John 17:21).

God is made up of three persons; the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Christ is the son of the father. All our God.

He is God's Son, The 'firstborn of creation' Colossians 1: 15 he describes himself at Proverbs 8: 22- 31

• Aytoy

Good point. As you've seen, Jesus is at the right hand of God. -Acts. 7:55, 56.

And, how does Jesus reffer to his Father? Well, Jesus says: "My God" so many times, that the idea is very clear for the unpredisposed Scriptures reader. -Revelations 3:12.

Greetings.

• Um actually the Trinity is 3 people in 1. (God the Father, god the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, You know, Trinity= tri= 3) And is totally uncomprehended by humans, and we will be unable to understand the Trinity here on earth. So technically Jesus is both God, and the Son of God

Source(s): God The Bible My Theology Teachers
  • ed f

I like your question. It seems that if you ask this question around the people I fellowship with, you are considered a heretic. Even so, I am starting to question the whole 3 in 1 thing, there just doesn't seem to be all that much support for it in the Bible. I do know that this isn't the only thing about God that I don't understand, He's not like us! I can't think like He does, but that's a good thing, He knows what I need.