Questions about sumo?
1) why is sumo part of traditional culture?
2) where can i see sumo in Tokyo? and name of place.
- 1 decade agoFavorite Answer
1.because sumo is one of the famous boxing for japanese.and it had long long times ago.and they don't want to lose it.
2.in tokyo the famous place used to watch sumo fighting is in Ryogoku.FRom tokyo station ride JR rapid line until kinshichou and transfer by JR LOCAL LINE to ryougoku.
- 1 decade ago
1) well, sumo has been around for a long time. I found one website that claims it has existed in some form for the last 2000 years. Its really ritualistic, and has a lot of Shinto ceremonies, more so than time spent wrestling. here's the website I was looking at http://www.sumotalk.com/history.htm
2) In Tokyo the Grand Sumo tournaments are held at Ryogoku Kokugikan. The next tournament is from Jan 11th to Jan 25th 2009. Its only held 3 times a year in Tokyo, but if you aren't in Tokyo for those dates, you could go to a stable to see them practicing. Sumo's official website is http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/index.html It will have all the information you are looking for.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
1) It is based on Shinto which is sort of national relief in a sense. It used to be spiritual festival for natural God, entertainment and also martialarts and still be.
2) Ryogoku Kokugi-Kan stadium is the place you need to go to see Sumo in Tokyo. JR Ryogoku is the nearest station.