Will prostitution charge affect greencard status and risk deportation?

My friend just got convicted of a prostitution charge (Being a john) and he has been a US greencard-holder for 7 years, Will his greencard be confiscated and is there a risk for him to be deported from US? How will this also affect his status in applying for citizen?

Update:

what if he was put on diversion program, will his record not show this charge?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Fred S
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Being a prostitute, engaging in prostitution, being a procurer of prostitutes, all are crimes involving moral turpitude. Living off the proceeds of prostitution makes one inadmissible.

However, being a customer of a prostitute is not a crime involving moral turpitude. A lawful permanent resident cannot be deported for soliciting a prostitute which is what a john or a jane does.

Even if it was a CIMT, after seven years as a green card holder, he would need 2 or more convictions after entry to be considered deportable.

Source(s): See 212(a)(2)(D)(i) and 237(a)(2)(A)(ii)
  • 1 decade ago

Yes. He's guilty of a crime of moral turpitude. Conviction carries the potential for deportation and a lifetime ban on returning to the United States.

• John A
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Yes convictions of moral turbidity will lead to action of having the individual removed from the USA for life, depending on the processing officer. The processing officer will base the decision on his/her own moral interpretation of the immigation laws.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I hope he enjoyed himself, because he can again from what I am hearing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.