Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Clonazepam/Klonopin (benzo) side effects!?

Male 22,

I have been experiencing alot of Anxiety lately after I had a Panic attack 2 months ago.

My GP prescribed me above med for 1 month 0.25mg twice daily.

Its been two weeks. My physical symptoms are better like weakness.

BUT my concentration level is much worse now !

My concentration level got really bad maybe due to stress/anxiety and can this med make my concentration worse. Its like I can read and write but really can't concentrate :(.

Can constant anxiety make your concentration worse :(.

Now when I concentrate on my school work my mind goes blank.

Favorite Answer

Clonazepam (marketed by Roche under the trade-names Klonopin) is a drug which is a benzodiazepine derivative.It is a highly potent anticonvulsant, muscle relaxant and anxiolytic. Clonazepam is a chlorinated derivative of nitrazepam and a nitrobenzodiazepine like nitrazepam.

Common side effects of this drug are -

-Drowsiness

-Impairment of cognition and judgment

-Irritability and aggression

-Psychomotor agitation

-Lack of motivation

-Impaired motor function

-Impaired coordination

-Impaired balance

-Dizziness

-Cognitive Impairments

-Increased Sleepwalking (If used in treatment of sleepwalking)

-Auditory Hallucinations

-Short-term memory loss

-Anterograde amnesia (common with higher doses)

-Some users report hangover-like symptoms of being drowsy, having a headache, being sluggish, and being irritable after waking up if the medication is taken before sleep. This is likely the result of the medication's long half-life, which continues to affect the user after waking up, as well as its disruption of the REM cycle.

Try to avoid this medication duly consulting your GP, as it will not made anything good in the long run-

Source(s): -
  • Carol

Okay, I would like to say that the more you think about something the worse you can make yourself. It's like the harder you try the worse it gets. I have the same problem. Although I ALSO have anxiety problems(Panic Attacks). Have you tried Buspar? Klonopan is VERY addictive like xanax. I know my mom is a druggie and... I think you get the point. Buspar is Non-addictive. I do take it but not as often as I should. The only side effects I have had are headaches, but I also take birthcontrol... That is really the only thing I know, excepet it is a sedative. It helps you sleep a bit... I wouldn't let people know you are taking that stuff. It is in the narcotic drugs catagory. Sorry I couldn't be of more help

You can check all reported Clonazepam side effects here: http://patientsville.com/medication/clonazepam_sid...

Keep a checklist of all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you take. For each medicine, mark the amount you take, the time of day you take it, and whether it should be taken with food.