how can i approach a customer to sell my cleaning service?

what would you tell him/her to sound more profesional (while handing your business card)?

i'll be using mostely green products.

i'm properly trained to do the floor care and carpet cleaning.

i'm insured and bonded. i have references.

how would you use this information to approach a customer?

Favorite Answer

I know quite a few self-employed people who have had the same problem.

I wouldn't mind betting your quite new to it.

At first, until you build up your confidence, advertise in the phone book or local paper. If you have to phone around, write down the main points and get a friend or a family member to do it for you.

Eventually, believe me you will build up the confidence to do these things on your own.

Another tip, is to speak to other people who are in business for themselves. It's like a little club and from my experience they will love to pass information and tips on to you. And it doesn't matter what business they're in, it's all about selling themselves and their business.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Have you heard the phrase "Telling isn't selling"? It's very true. In a selling situation you need to ask the right questions in order to understand your prospects actual needs (and what motivates them). Once you understand what they really need THEN you can elaborate on your unique approach to satisfying that need.

There is some good advice in the other answers, but be sure to understand the difference between 'Marketing' and 'Selling'. Marketing is more about your image and how people view your company, and generating leads. Selling is where you actually convert these leads and prospects into a paying customer.

I'm not sure exactly what your situation is, but if you're meeting people for the first time just ask them questions about them first. Show a genuine interest. They are likely to then ask you about what you do. That is your opportunity to show what makes you different from other cleaning services out there.

P.S. There is nothing wrong with sticking with a "green" theme, but again you must be sure to translate that into a clear benefit for the customer. Practice what you'll say over and over again, and imagine your prospect only answering you with the phrase "so, what does that do for me??" Whatever you say should already have answered that question. Practice with someone you know. Try to make it fun.

Good luck!

Do away with the green stuff. Most educated people consider that phony. You want to stand out over competitors by being unique. Why not something that goes as follows:

We may not be green but at least we clean.

We do not clean your car or your pet just your carpet.

We use 100% non organic products that actually work unlike our competitors who worry more about their color rather than your carpet.